Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, July 2, 2022

When it Goes Wrong

My dog came home from the vet Thursday very anxious. I assumed it was the stress of being poked and prodded. She settled down, but was edgy. Yesterday she was the same way, I still thought it was anxiety due to the vet visit along with having her ear treated. Yesterday evening I realized what is wrong. She cannot hear. Mark came in from feeding the horses, Keetah always jumps up when she hears the screen door slide. She stayed at my feet. I told her go on, it's him. Nothing. I said her name, nothing. She can't hear. I don't know what happened. I called the clinic this morning but they aren't open on Saturdays anymore. I looked up sudden deafness in dogs and ear infection can cause it, but only one ear is infected. It can be temporary. I'll have to wait until Tuesday and in the meantime hope she recovers her hearing. I had a basset go deaf. I thought he was sundowning, he got anxious in the evening. Turned out he had enough hearing to be startled by thunder and fireworks. He'd probably been losing his hearing over time because he never showed any anxiety, other than the sudden anxiety over loud sound. He was 15 at the time. They do adapt. I hope she doesn't need to.


Mark is spending the day with some siblings at his niece's lake "cabin" on a very expensive lake about four miles from our place. The niece lives in Missouri, they bought this place a couple of years ago and the brother, her dad, gets to use it as he wants. We had a light rain but it's supposed to become partly sunny and warm by early afternoon. So it's me, the cats and Keetah for the day. He'll be home in time to take care of the horses.

I brought these iris from my house in Saint Paul. I took this photo a few years ago, I think they are so pretty. So many of my iris are gone, grass can choke out everything.

I guess it's time to do something. Later.....

8 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Hopefully your pups hearing will improve. We had half an inch of rain last night....the drought has done a number on so many plants. Our iris are long gone...yours is a beauty.

Sandra said...

Mine are also long gone, this is a photo from a few years ago. I feel bad for Keetah, she's been confused. I'm happy you got rain, we had a light rain in the morning.

Val Ewing said...

Oh these are beautiful. I can see that grass can choke them out the grass 'ate' my beautiful yellow ones.

Two neighbors of mine have had their older dogs go deaf fairly recently from ear infections. We had one hound dog do that too.

I sure hope Keethah will adapt or at least calm down? My Mr. Morris seemed to go deaf or he was having Senior Dog Moments. He often chose not to hear things I said.

Sandra said...

My Howard had selective hearing! Keetah is an intense dog under the best of circumstances so this is a challenge. It's giving me a headache, I have to remind myself what it's doing to her.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Pretty Iris yes the grass choked out mine or frost heaves. We had a Sheltie that was deaf, it was not easy but we and she adapted, she didn't live long after she went deaf. Maybe once Keethah gets rid of the ear infection her hearing will come back, she may have been hearing impaired in her other ear previously:(

Boud said...

I wonder if she's feeling dizzy. That can accompany an ear infection, and be very disorienting. Let's hope you both feel better soon!

Sandra said...

Far Side, who knows. She's an intense dog so lots of things can be hidden behind the intensity. My deaf dog lived almost a year after I realized he was deaf. He was well adapted, I think it happened over time.

Sandra said...

She has done walking in circles around the kitchen table so I think she may well be dizzy. I feel so bad for her, it was sudden. All of a sudden she's in silence. It's terrible.