Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, July 9, 2022

Escapism

A couple of afternoons ago I was aimlessly scrolling through Britbox and I came upon this. I remember watching this series on PBS when it was released in 1981. I am a sucker for British TV and Masterpiece theatre was my place to go.



I watched the first of eleven episodes. It's going to be a commitment but I will settle in and relive that time all those years ago and watch it again.  


The series is based on this book, published in 1945. The series is said to be accurate to the book, which would explain why it's so long. The American Library Association put the book on its' list of banned books because it alludes to homosexuality. It seems we have come so far. You cannot hear the sarcasm and it's not possible to write it in. In his later years Waugh disparaged what he originally called his "magnum opus", finding it overmuch. I have not read the novel, I haven't seen the adaptation in over 40 years, other than the first episode, but I will say part of why I am a sucker for British period movies is that very quality, too much in a very British way. Maybe the second time around I will agree with the author. I kind of doubt it. It is the point, for me, after all. Also, Jeremy Irons really is rather beautiful.

3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

:) Sounds like a great activity! I like the Brits Movies also:)

Sandra said...

I watched 2 episodes this evening. I still like it! I'm a fan of Merchant and Ivory films.

Sandra said...

I finished the series, it was a little stale toward the end.