Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Friday, July 8, 2022

Sage and Words

We've had tropical humidity for several days. I don't go on about that not being normal anymore, it's become our normal. My potted sage on the back deck thinks this is perfect, even if I don't.


I've been rather uncommunicative. I'm feeling the weight of our failing society and can't seem to shake it. Positive thinking doesn't work. I wish it were in my nature to be able to tell myself it's beyond my control and go about my business, unfortunately I am not made that way. Bright and cheery has never been me.

My dog is still deaf. I finally got through to the vet, she told me she's had a small number of dogs lose hearing with ear infection and they all regained hearing. I'm hoping. Keetah is to go in for a follow-up next week.

Mark saw a dermatologist this week. He sent tissue in for biopsy from Mark's arm and froze spots on top of his head that are precancerous. Mark is fair and he has male pattern baldness and a shaved head. He was told to wear a broad brimmed hat instead of the baseball cap he's worn for as long as I can remember. That's going to take some getting used to. I am thankful for my Mediterranean skin tone, I know it can happen to me but is not nearly as likely as to a fair skinned person. So, this is something more for Mr. Anxious to worry about and for me to stuff into my folder of things to pretend don't exist.

To end with a positive, the cucumber seeds I planted about a month ago are growing despite how hot it has been. Now that they have rooted they will enjoy the heat. All the vegetables I planted are growing like weeds, if they produce compared to their size I will have a lot to preserve.

That's it from my little plot of earth.



8 comments:

Boud said...

I hear you on it's just not in your nature to be cheerful when things aren't. That's okay. It's who you are.
I'm hopeful about Keetah though. Did you ever say where she got her name?

Sandra said...

Boud, I don't know how her name came about. A rescue thought it was a good idea to let my mother, who was in her 80s, adopt a German Shepherd that wasn't yet 1 year old. Keetah came with the name. She and her companion, Emma, came to live with us two years ago after Kate died. Emma was 16 and died 8 months later. Keetah is now 10. This is causing her anxiety.

Val Ewing said...

I hear you on the cheerful part. We are all individuals and deal with things in different ways.
An imagination has always been my saving grace when things get rough.

I was that kid that day dreamed in school and got yelled at. I'd simply ignore the world and drift off.
Tempting to do now a days...once in a while.

I hope Keetah improves.
I purchased a nice straw hat last year and I actually like wearing it. It is airy and pretty cool.

My sage from last year really bounced back and is going gang busters!

Sandra said...

You are fortunate to be able to go into your imagination, Val.

Mark is taking the idea of the hat better than I thought he would, he's a baseball cap kind of guy!

This sage plant wintered in the house and was looking puny. Not anymore!

Lori Skoog said...

We have been spared some of your humidity, but have had plenty of sunshine and temps near 80. Our gardens are also going nuts. The cherry tomatoes in the kitchen garden are five feet high and our cucumbers are growing up the ladders. I do not pretend when it comes to the state of affairs in our country. I'm not happy and keep waiting for some solutions to show up. I can't believe a candidate in one of the states (running for Gov.) marched in a parade with 3 %ers. 9 elected officials in his party endorsed his opponent. Is there ever going to be a difference between right and wrong? Gary has to wear a wide brimmed hat and also puts on a long sleeved shirt when he is working in the sunshine. Many trips to the dermatologist. Hope your pup improves.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Duluth Trading Co has some great hats, I love mine! Hope Keetahs hearing comes back soon. I hate the humid...I could complain but it wouldn't do any good:)

Sandra said...

Lori, it's been mostly hot and humid. The humidity is too much for me. The plants do love it. Personally, I think we are coming undone as a nation. I hope I'm wrong.

Sandra said...

Far Side, I complain anyway!