Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Sunday, July 31, 2022

Is Time on My Side


The last day of July. That sure went fast. Time flies when you are having fun. HA! Truth is...time flies when you are getting old, it hardly seems fair. Another old adage: life ain't fair, buttercup.

This morning Mark said it looks like we may get rain. I said don't count on it. He quipped, you must be feeling pretty good, your sunshiney personality is showing already! Yep, that would be me. Little Miss Susie Sunshine. As I see it, if you tend toward the dark side you have more chance to be happily wrong than woefully right. Or so I say.

As is generally the case the last couple of years there are no plans for the day. I may roast and freeze squash as it is producing prolifically. I should do some household chores, I really should. Am I alone in this feeling of gloom? I think it's a long haul effect of Covid, not of having the virus, but of what its existence has done to our brains. Maybe. Anyway....

Onto the important stuff


I grilled swordfish marinated in garlic and lime for yesterday's dinner. A simple cucumber, artichoke heart and pasta salad rounded it out.

I found wheat weevils in two unopened bags of pasta. I've had them in flour over the long years but in the pasta was something new. They won't hurt you if eaten, but somehow the idea of it doesn't sit well. So they got thrown in the trash bin. Odd, after writing yesterday about food waste and then I tossed two full bags of pasta. I'm not at the point of eating weevils. Not yet. PSA: No weevils were consumed in last evenings meal. 

It's 10:57 AM and my day has not really started, unless you count several cups of coffee, a crossword puzzle and a blog post. I think this is it for the rambles from my mind. 

Ciao Bella Mia

6 comments:

Boud said...

Things like weevils are the reason I put all flours, grains, pasta, dried beans etc in the freezer for a few days. To head off any eggs from hatching!

Sandra said...

That's a good idea. I've never had it happen with pasta.

Pixie said...

I've never had weevils in anything. Yikes.

I'm feeling gloomy too. The world is gloomy right now, or maybe it always has been and I was just too busy to notice:)

Val Ewing said...

Weevils. Ewww. Yes, I recall having them in flower long time ago, but not to my recent memory.

Sandra said...

Pixie, weevil eggs are already in the product, it's a matter of if you get lucky enough to get something with them. I did! I think things are gloomier.

Sandra said...

Val, I recently had them in semolina flour, but never pasta. ewww is right!