Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Thursday, July 28, 2022

Roses and Other Things

It's another mild day, on and off overcast. We go back to hot and humid starting over the weekend. The horses are in horse heaven with mild, breezy weather. So am I.


I used to grow roses in pots as well as in the ground. I would plant the roses that couldn't survive a Minnesota winter in pots and bring them in over the winter. It worked for a few years, until it finally didn't. All but the couple of crazy rambling roses have died during the past four years or so from my neglect. There's a metaphor in there somewhere. This was one of the potted roses, pretty. Lately I have been roaming through the aisle ways of the past, I suppose because of my limited ability to do much in the present. I was always a forward thinker, but things do change. It's just a fact. As far as the present, I am overrun with zucchini and a squash whose name I don't remember but resembles acorn squash. It's a prolific producer. I have prepped for dinner, making stuffed zucchini. That took care of the enormous one. I'll simply pop it into the oven when ready.

Keetah still cannot hear. I think this is permanent. The positive in this is she has adjusted surprisingly well. She is such a good dog, I'm glad she is with us. So is my little brat cat Frieda.

That's about it for the daily rambling from a fool who lives on a hill and wonders if she always will.





2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Very pretty rose! I have a hard time keeping them alive also...sooner or later they winterkill. Sorry about Keetah's hearing. They do adjust but it is still hard. Have you tried a whistle to see if she can hear the high pitch noise, might be worth a try if she can hear it them it is good for recall.

Sandra said...

You are right about roses and Minnesota. I have whistled but I haven't tried a whistle. I'll do that, thanks.