Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, July 16, 2022

Hot Saturday in July

Where's Frieda?


Frieda developed an affinity for a hidey-hole between the old rocking horse that had been made for my son and the wall. She spends a lot of her time curled up there.


She was sitting on a kitchen chair this morning and I said to Mark she always looks like she's thinking. I said I wouldn't be surprised that she's running complex math equations through her brain.

According to my weather app the rest of this month is hot and humid. It makes it impossible to enjoy summer. We have a nice screened porch we haven't been using as well as an open porch. We used to sit there in the evening and we ate in the screened porch. It's just not comfortable in 70+ dew points. If I didn't have the horses we would be up in Grand Marais, next to the Canadian border.

I'm starting to get produce, the zucchini plant is doing its thing. Soon I'll be swimming in those marvelous green thingies. The tomato plants are huge, the plants all seem to love this weather I do not love. My eggplants are enormous and will be producing soon. The cucumber seeds I planted late have germinated and are doing fine. 

We moved the mares to the east pasture so the geldings can have their gate open, allowing them access to an area with more tree cover than the large pasture they are in. It's hot and although I allowed some trees to grow in their pasture, being able to get to better tree cover if they want is important. The mares two pastures are open to trees, so they are always fine. The mares have belly high grass to chew down. They are up to the task.

Keetah had a followup vet visit yesterday. We are still being told there is a good chance her hearing will return but there is no sign of that yet. She has adapted and is no longer an anxious mess. I felt so sorry for her, losing hearing and unable to comprehend what is happening. It's a relief for her and for me that she has come to terms.

It's mid-July, hot and slow on the farm. 

8 comments:

julochka said...

It's unseasonably cold here. We are wearing sweaters and yet across the North Sea, the UK is sweating, as are they further south in Europe. But we are weirdly dry (though it rained last night). I'm running the sprinkler on the garden most days.

I'm glad Keetah has adjusted to her hearing lost and I hope it returns. I find it reassuring somehow, though also scary at the thought that maybe we can all adjust to the "reality" around us. I think some of us need to resist.

Pixie said...

It's hot and humid here too. As you said, the tomatoes love it but I'm sleeping in the basement with my grandson.

The dog my kids grew up with, Sox, went deaf and blind before we put her down. It was hard for her.

Sandra said...

It's been an awful summer, hot and extremely humid. I know this is now normal but my brain just can't quite grasp the reality. It has to be horrible in countries where a/c isn't common. I prefer your weather but my weather doesn't care.

I hope we don't adjust, we need to resist, that means voting whether we are happy with the choice or not. Then we can hopefully get to work changing things for the better. I don't want to adjust to a theocracy.

Sandra said...

Pixie, deaf and blind at once is a lot to handle. I've had one other deaf dogs, a basset. His happened gradually and it took me awhile to realize he was deaf.

Val Ewing said...

Hot and muggy is what July is it seems. Then we have the dog days of August right?
At least our mornings are cool and generally wet and foggy.

I hope Frieda gets her hearing back, but at least she has calmed down now.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Sorry about Keetahs hearing...sure hope it comes back!

Sandra said...

We don't have cool mornings, bah humbug! No sign of hearing yet.

Sandra said...

Far Side, I haven't given up hope.