Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Sunday, July 10, 2022

Webs Weaved

Yesterday afternoon this little guy sauntered across the top of my computer.


 I don't kill spiders. I have a weird connection to them, starting at age 14. Kate, also known as my mother, must have become aware of arachnophobia because she suddenly had it. The way it works with people like her is, once it's decided it's true. Period. You go along because that's what you have always done. So she was terrified of spiders. My younger brother, Robert, had a harder time with playing along as he got older and this was one he wouldn't do. He was the Golden Child, therefore he had more latitude with her, but you don't challenge someone with her personality disorder and come out unscathed. 

The point is, a bunch of adults and one kid all pretended Kate was terrified of spiders, just like that. Which leads me to never killing spiders. I have attached my feeling of helplessness in the face of malevolence to these creatures. One day, just a spider. The next, public enemy number one, a cause, per se, of many manic scenes where we all pretended this had always been. Except Robert. It did become a reality because that's how it works, one moment they know they are lying, the next they know it's truth.

I let the spider go to the edge of the computer, contemplate the next move, make the decision to clamber down the back to whatever fate may await it at the paws of Frieda.

4 comments:

Val Ewing said...

I used to freak out at spiders because I was told they were bad. But once I started to photograph insects, I decided to investigate them. I decided they are cool and awesome. I studied them like anything I point my camera at and found out how beneficial they are.
Now?
No fear of them and I generally let them be.

Far Side of Fifty said...

They can live outside with the rest of the bugs:)

Sandra said...

Vai, I don't have a fear of any insects or bugs. I don't like June bugs because they stick if they land on you, but it isn't a fear. They all have a purpose and sometimes that purpose is simply to be somethings food.

Sandra said...

Far side :) that is ideal!