Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Sunday, July 3, 2022

Life's Complications

Today's Lunch

Mark got the results of his blood work and he is pre-diabetic! His A1C and blood glucose are higher than mine and I've been the one flirting with diabetes all these years. He has to change his ways. He has developed a belly over the past few years, even though the rest of him is lean, unlike me. He has learned to eat much more vegetables than I ever thought he would, now I need to get him away from potatoes as a mainstay. He's not going to give up his evening beer, so we'll manage his carbs around that. He has come to appreciate beans more than he did, that's a positive. I have ribs cooking and I made a potato salad with a couple of purple sweet potatoes I had that were needing to be used. I like potato salad with tarragon, vinegar and a small amount of mayonnaise, the purple has colored the mayo!

 

I am so surprised about this turn of events, never did I expect Mark would be teetering on the brink of my family's condition. 

On the Keetah front;  she has given some indication she may have some limited hearing, and then it seems like she doesn't. I have a little hope for her.

We have neighbors who are fireworks crazy, so last night it started around 11:00 and I expect tonight and tomorrow as well. They set off the kind you see municipalities use, it feels like the sound will blow the roof off. This isn't legal in Minnesota but it isn't enforced. Too bad. I will never understand the fascination, especially considering what it does to wildlife, dogs and other domestic animals. I've had several dogs that were a total wreck from those damn things. Yes, it makes me cranky.

I think I will end here before I find something else to kvetch about, I have a good-sized stash, believe me. Enjoy your Sunday evening, may it be quieter than mine.

2 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Your pictures are always so gorgeous. Yep. Our diets do catch up with us. Being able to manage them is the key. Ribs and potato salad sound good to me!!! If Keetah does have limited hearing, I'll bet she can learn to respond to hand signals. As I am writing this, the Town is having a big fireworks show 3 miles down the road and I can barely hear them. Pity any animals and birds in the vicinity. I used to go and do a photoshoot, but no more. I want this country to switch to the fireworks without all the sounds of a war zone. Hopefully our neighbors won't go nuts tomorrow.

Sandra said...

Lori, I've always had a habit of hand signaling the dogs, even Frieda knows my signals! I think it's because I use my hands as part of my speech. Keetah seems to hear certain thing but I can loudly say her name and get nothing. Some hearing would be great. The purple sweet potatoes made a good potato salad. My fabulous neighbors are already setting off noisy things. It stays light here until about 10;00. not daylight but dusk, so it will start about 10:30. I hear them off in the distance from somewhere. I would like it the same way. The rockets red glare can go away.