Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Thursday, July 21, 2022

Tarnished Oldies

Mark had another doctor appointment today, a urologist. Mark's dad died from prostate cancer and two brothers have it. He is scheduled for an MRI and then a biopsy next month. It feels like a lot at once and I do not handle stress at all well since my TBI. The queen of stress management loses it pretty fast these days. Just telling me this set me off this morning. I now feel drained of what little energy I had. In the span of a month Mark has been told he's pre-diabetic, had a cancerous growth removed from his arm and now this. My damaged brain is jumbled. Aging and health issues, they go together like a horse and carriage.

Mark was told by his primary losing some weight would be helpful regarding the diabetes. The doctor today said losing some weight would be helpful. Mark isn't particularly overweight, not like me, he has that man belly many older males get. Everything else is trim, there is just that gut. All month I've been tying to get him to understand he has to be more careful about his carb intake, like talking to a brick wall. Today he's gung-ho about weight loss. Whatever works, it got through to him. 


Which brings me to this relic. It's about 15 years old but it still works. At least it did the last time I stepped on it. I call it my passage to nowhere. My inability to walk wasn't helped by the treadmill, it caused too much pain. What has helped is my pedal machine. I'm now at a place where I think I can do some short bouts going nowhere slow. Mark does all the barn work and handles and feeds the horses so exercise isn't an issue for him. He gets plenty of walking and lots of lifting. It's why I still have muscle mass at my age and current condition. At least that's what the physical therapist told me. I have an appointment next month with Pain Management and Rehab, I really don't know what it entails. As I write all of this I'm aware it seems we are falling apart! 

I'll crank up the old treadmill, take my slow journey, make smaller portions for both of us and hope for the best. Bette Davis was spot on when she quipped getting old ain't for sissies.


8 comments:

Boud said...

So true. Here's hoping for good outcomes for both of you. Good for you for facing and dealing with facts.

Sandra said...

Boud, reality bites but I think it bites harder when ignored. I'm tired of myself, something has to change. It's difficult to consider Mark anything but strong and vital. Hopefully I won't have to.

Lori Skoog said...

This post sounds way too familiar. Gary has to see the dermatologist regularly to keep up with skin problems and has some very gimpy days. Somehow he walks anywhere from 8,000 to 15,000 steps almost every single day. Moving mulch, working in the gardens, helping me with chores. I used to do 10,000 steps most days before Covid. Now, I am ready to start riding my trike....if it ever cools down.
I had a full knee replacement 7 or 8 years ago and after PT continued going to Agape....primarily on the bike, elliptical and a little treadmill. The key for me on the treadmill was walking at a slow pace. Going fast bothered my opposite hip. The elliptical was my favorite. Can't imagine what my heart rate was after 20 or 25 minutes. I never even thought about it before this pacemaker. Just take it slow. You are going in the right direction!!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yes getting older involved ailments...I suppose one should be thankful that things are not worse:)

Val Ewing said...

The nurse at the ER told my husband to think about losing weight while she was attaching leads for an EKG last week. He gave her a look. She told him to eat less bread and carbs.
She jumped to a conclusion without knowing the person she was speaking to.

I hope that the tests come out clear. We went through that a few years ago as hubby's dad had prostrate cancer. Thankfully, it just was an enlarge prostrate.

Stress is so hard to deal with.
Love the comment about the treadmill being a path to nowhere.

Sandra said...

Lori, you and Gary are always busy! Farm work adds up the steps. I am a little better, so it's encouraging but slow.

Sandra said...

Far Side, there's always worse!

Sandra said...

Val, I have been told to lay off the fast food and chips, so I totally understand. Assumptions are so convenient. It would be wonderful if it's just enlarged.