Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, July 30, 2022

Hot & Humid...Have Some Soup

This will be me by the end of the coming week!


I can complain about heat and humidity because I rarely complain about the cold, except I do bemoan the heating bill. Remind me in January that I said this. Mark and Ken, who works with my hay guy, are unloading hay. Poor guy will come in hot and stuffed up. He's developed some allergies and hay dust is one of them. He refuses to wear a mask because it fogs his glasses. I'd deal with that instead of a tight chest, but I'm not a stubborn man. Stubborn woman, but that's an entirely different subject. Hay is expensive, more so than usual. Feeding fifteen horses is no joke. Choices made, choices lived. I won't be moving to a Mediterranean Villa anytime soon.

Summer has gone by fast, we are now entering the dog days, what I grew up calling August. Soon I'll be harvesting tomatoes by buckets full. I see my eggplants have buds and the cucumber seeds I decided to plant in June are growing well. I'm giving Ken zucchini and squash, someone who doesn't have any and wants it. Hurrah!! This is a good time when the produce starts to ripen. For awhile our cup runneth over with delight. The freezer gets stocked with plenty to take us through the winter. It's pretty good.



I added the remainder of the stuffing for the zucchini boats into the soup from a few days ago. I used two leftovers to make enough lunch for two people. I didn't notice while eating it but I see in the photo the oil from sausage and feta. It doesn't make the best photo but it didn't affect the taste. It was pretty good, especially considering I made use of two leftover items. Mark heard on MPR a couple days ago the amount of food waste there is in the US. It's appalling. The person said for every three grocery bags that come into a house the equivalent of one ends up in the trash. They said landfills are primarily food waste. We have one small garbage bag a week. I wonder if those same people who throw that much out still are, considering the price of food? 

My back isn't quite as painful at the moment so I think I will try some household tasks. It isn't easy for a particular person living in a not so particular environment. Fortunately, Mark wouldn't notice if half the house collapsed! Really.

Ramble for the day. Ciao Bella Mia.




 


7 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

So does this mean we are going to have your heat and humidity tomorrow? I must say, you have a great sense of humor that comes out in your posts. I can't imagine how much hay you need for 15 horses. I only need 100 more bales and am getting off easy compared to you. Our tomatoes are big, but still green....except for the cherries, which are red and delicious.

Sandra said...

:) I hope not. The misery sets in full force during the week. All the tomatoes are green. There's a lot of them.

Val Ewing said...

My Grandfather always told us to eat soup on a hot day as it would get you 'sweatin' properly. I'm not sure of that comment, but hey, I love what we call
Leftover Soup.
I freeze leftovers and toss them into a soup.

I listened to that program also regarding food waste. The current generations have not grown up making sure that nothing is wasted like I learned while staying with my Grandparents all summer.
They lived through very hard times and learned to use everything.

Stay cool.

Sandra said...

Both of my parents lived through the Depression. My grandma was a legendary preserver. Mark grew up on a dairy farm , 10 kids. He really is bothered by food waste. He didn't go hungry but there wasn't abundance. Leftover soup, I love it. It sounds better than garbage soup, which has a French name I can't remember, but it's anything you need to use before it goes over. I like leftover soup better!

Val Ewing said...

My mom was born at the end of the depression and grew up without most conveniences. My Grandmother still cooked on a wood stove and she taught me how to cook on it -- simple stuff. We foraged the woods for food as well as fished and gardened... so yeah, nothing was wasted!

Sandra said...

My grandma had a wood stove and no indoor plumbing. She refused to have it brought in. We have a commonality in our grandma's.

Far Side of Fifty said...

We rarely have food waste...and like you our garbage is one bag a week a small 14 gallon bag and if we gave up paper plates it would be less. I should compost fruit stuff but it would draw in skunks and we already have one that visits our bird feeder so it would love a compost pile. The heat is coming in up here so stay cool!