Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, November 12, 2022

Dusty Pages

Reading Boud's blog this morning gave me an idea for a post. I had nothing and now I do, for whatever it's worth! She said she enjoyed looking in the background of Zooms and posts, at what people had on their bookshelves. This is an intentional look at what some of my shelves hold, dust and all. These are two book cases in my office, now just the place that holds the trusty Mac and cat things. And dust.





I like the idea of this, I think it gives greater insight to who the person is at the keyboard, seeing what they read, perhaps what they collect. I am all over the place on both levels. I have mostly bought digital books for several years now. I am not even buying those anymore, I borrow from the library. I have many books and have decided I don't need to own them, my son will have enough to do when I kick it. That smiling little boy is him many, many years ago. Thank you, Boud, for giving me inspiration for something other than health problems and complaints.

It is cold, we have a light dusting of snow, the pellet stove is still working and I brought chicken stock up from the freezer for soup tomorrow. The horses are now happily eating round bales of hay during the day, so I guess all is well in the world. In their little corner of it anyway.

12 comments:

Boud said...

Thank you for letting us in. I'm glad I triggered a blog post for you. Yes, it's interesting to see what people liked enough to buy and keep.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

This was a good suggestion from Boud, so thanks for sharing your bookshelves as well. A couple of months ago, I did take a few photos of the LR bookshelves, and now have to check if I saved those for future use. I no longer buy books, unless at book sales and those have to ones I plan to keep and possibly re-read. I have been reading library books, kindle and hardcover and listening to audio books in recent months. And yes seeing what is in someone's home does give more of a personal sense.

Pixie said...

I always enjoy looking at other people's stuff. Thanks for the peek at your bookcase.

Lori Skoog said...

Great idea! I'm going to have to take some photos in our library.

Anonymous said...

Great post. During lock down when the PBS New Hour reporters were reporting from their homes I totally loved it. Checking out their books, furniture, decorations and their pets. I would call a friend and alert her that Lisa's cat was on the couch or someones dog walked through for a quick pet. It made me see them differently and made them relatable.
Take Care and Stay Safe,
Kaye

Far Side of Fifty said...

You have some interesting books. I have pared down my book stash...I do have The Edgar Sawtelle book...it has been on my to read list for several years. It is cold here too, the snow is not melting. :(

Sandra said...

Boud, without your inspiration this would have been a blank page yesterday!

Sandra said...

Beatrice, it does! Yes, I have mostly stopped adding books, my son won't want to deal with anymore than I already have.

Sandra said...

Pixie, I really liked the table with you beautiful cat you posted.

Sandra said...

Oh. Lori, do! I LOVE your house.

Sandra said...

Kaye, that time also made things less rigid. Like a cat walking past, a dog barking or a child popping in to say hi!

Sandra said...

Far Side, I have wide interests!