Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Thursday, November 17, 2022

Frieda

Little Miss Naughty Pants
Frieda






Basking in the evening glow of firelight. Three years ago on the evening of November 1, Frieda came to the kitchen door, which is glass, stood on her hind feet and knocked with one paw. She had shown up in the barn about a week earlier. She was tiny, a recently weaned kitten, and fearful. We couldn't get near her but we fed and watered her. She stood by the silo that day mewling at me, but would skitter away if I started toward her. Then, that evening she decided enough was enough and knocked. She came strolling in like she lived there and that was that. I guess she couldn't see herself as a barn cat, she does love life's comforts, and Mark's tri-pod kitty didn't care about Frieda moving in, so I have the Brat Cat.

I have been told tortoiseshell cats are unusual and I would say this is an understatement. I have never known a cat like this one. 


Her first full day in the house she got onto the piano and stared at the crossbeams and made slight upward movements, like she wanted to jump. Fast forward to April, 2020, there she is. She managed to jump from a side table to the top of a 9' bookcase, then she took the leap of about 4' up and across to the beam. In this photo she is contemplating getting on the ceiling fan blades. Mark got a tall ladder to get her down. In a minute she was back. This is when I saw how she did it. Several more forays before I had to move her starting point, the side table. That led to a day of cat protestation. We called her the flying monkey. 

I did need this little terror. My beloved dogs had died, I had finally cut off contact with my toxic mother and the world seemed a hostile place. Then along came Frieda. Sometimes, the fates are aligned.

12 comments:

Boud said...

As soon as I saw her picture and realized she's a tortie, I understood all! They are all totally self willed and great manipulators. They decide when to live in a house and which house. She's the third I've known do this. You're highly honored.

Sandra said...

You described her perfectly, Boud! She is so manipulative. We have a screened porch off the kitchen and the cats like to be out there. When the door is closed, as it is now, Frieda goes to a dinning room chair, puts her claws on it, looks over her shoulder to make sure you are watching and scratches. I tell her to stop, she makes one of her many sounds and runs to the porch door. If I don't follow her command, she does it all over again until I do. We are definitely here to serve!

Lori Skoog said...

What sweet photos! She is quite the athlete!

Far Side of Fifty said...

She is a beauty! Cats have Staff...unlike dogs:)

Sandra said...

Lori, she is. She is definitely a climber and jumper.

Sandra said...

Far Side, they certainly do!

julochka said...

She's a worthy bearer of the name. My Frieda was also quite the character. I still miss her! She would come and and sit on the outside ledge of the window and paw furiously with both front paws, demanding to be let in, so no dainty one-paw request. No other cat has done that since.

Val Ewing said...

She sure came at a time when you needed her!

What a great cat! I had one like that but she was wild and I never ever got close to her. I admired her interesting coat though from afar. Mom wouldn't let us adopt cats [this was in the 1960's].

Toxic mom? Yes. I have one of those. A ME, ME ME mom.

Sandra said...

Julocka, I'm so happy you gave me the name, it fits. When she is on the screen porch and wants in she does as your Frieda did. She had a polite knock once!

Sandra said...

Val, she did. I don't know why, but difficult and/or unusual animals (and people!) appeal to me! She is sleek, shiny and lean.

I'm sorry you have one, also. They are not as rare as people may think. With a personality disorder, you either stick around and deal with misery or you do what my brother did 30 years ago and leave, never to be seen or heard from again. I stuck around, until the last 8 months when I cracked.

Val Ewing said...

Sandra, the only one left that puts up with her drama is my sister's husband I guess. The rest of us keep her at arms length with many miles between us.
It is more peaceful that way than to listen to her ravings and long held grudges.
I'm at peace with it.

Sandra said...

I'm so, so happy to hear that. No one should be treated like garbage, from anyone. When it's a parent it is even worse. You are doing right by yourself.