Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Monday, November 21, 2022

German Shepherd Detritus and Other Fine Things

No talk of music, cats, dogs, clowns or jokers. Back to basics. Although warmer yesterday it was still cold so we had soup for lunch. I don't know what happened to Mark, but he delightedly said "soup for lunch". He used to see soup as not food!


Then, this is what using what you've got on hand becomes for dinner. I had a small amount of leftover meatloaf. Tomatoes and shredded zucchini from the freezer, curtesy of the garden. Some garlic, basil cubes and pappardelle, a little parmigiano and it was dinner. Done in the time it takes to boil water.
 

Mark's birthday is Saturday. We are invited to the son's house that day as we don't see them on Thanksgiving. It's been a year almost to the day since we have seen his wife. She has a new job she's happy with and I think things are going well for them.

Mark meets with the radiologist later this morning to go over the treatment plan. I think he starts treatment sometime in December. Mark's absolute favorite holiday is Thanksgiving because of the food and leftovers, so he is really pleased his treatment won't be messing that up for him. He has a few items to pick up for his favorite day and the turkey gets picked up on Wednesday. I need to rally to make a pie, the guy is obsessed with pie. A birthday, cancer...I think I need to make a pie.

That's about it. The sun is shining again, it's in the 20s F and heading for a warm up. I need to find the energy to clean the place, German Shepherd hair is everywhere. Anyone who may do spinning, I could keep you supplied....just saying.

10 comments:

Boud said...

I had a knitting friend who arranged to get some of her dog's hair cleaned and spun into yarn. She made a hat which was so warm it was like a hot box. Too warm! She then understood how her dog could love rolling about in the snow in winter for ages.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I hope the appointment went well and Happy Birthday to Mark on Saturday...yes make him a couple of pies!

Val Ewing said...

I looked up what a person can do with dog hair/fur. Apparently a lot! Long Hair can be knitted. Hair can be crafted or used for stuffing things like dog pillows. It can be used in a compost pile, it can be spread in the garden to keep some critters away?

I thought Charlie would be an easy keeper regarding dog hair. Uff. His Doxie coat is prolific at shedding. However, that is what keeps him nice and warm as he runs around in the winter!

Sandra said...

Boud, I can believe it. This dog has such a heavy coat I wonder how she can live inside.

Sandra said...

Far Side, it did go well! With just two of us, one pie is all we can handle. At once anyway. He'd be willing to take the challenge, though!

Sandra said...

I know there are people who use dog hair, I don't know if it a specific type. This girl is prolific, so she could keep someone in soft yarn.

Charlie is so tiny I wouldn't think he could be a hairball. But who'd think he's a master hiker either? : )

Lori Skoog said...

Yum and yum! Make the pie!

Sandra said...

I will, really! I need your energy, Lori.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Happy Birthday to Mark, and hope the family celebration is a fun time. That really has been a long time to see you DIL.

The leftovers with added items look like a delicious dinner. Leftover meatloaf is good for so many menus.

About the dog hair, my brother has a couple of Belgian Malanois and a couple of smaller dogs and another family member has a Labrador, so we never leave after visits without bringing home some dog hairs, Casual clothes are always worn during those visits.

Sandra said...

Thanks, Beatrice. My son's wife comes from a controlling family . When they became engaged my son told me the family is a cult and all the spouses of the children have been drawn in. He said it wouldn't happen to him. It has, although he is making an effort. We don't see her but once or twice a year. We are reconciled to the reality and are ok with it.

Leftovers make some of the best meals.

You are very smart to wear casual clothes to your brother's house! Those are some bug time shedders, as well.