Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Relief

We had a productive consultation with the urologist yesterday. There were four options, although he said surgery after sixty-five is not recommended. After discussion we decided Mark will have radiation. It's a six week treatment, that starts six weeks after some prep treatments. The rating system for prostate cancer is 1-5, with 5 the worst. Mark is 2. The doctor was good at explaining everything and encouraging about the outcome. Now we are waiting for the pathologists report on the huge area of melanoma removed form Mark's upper left arm. We are waiting to find out if it was completely removed. How did it happen he has two forms of unrelated cancer at one time? Fingers are crossed.

We had a busy day, not returning home until later afternoon. Some round bales had been dropped off and Bill wanted to bring the part he'd taken home to fiddle with back so we can use the pellet stove. We'd stopped at the local place for pellets only to find we need to order them in advance. They did not have that info on the website. I ordered six bags from Fleet Farm for curbside pick-up, which we will do today.

It's in the 50s F and rainy today. Both are fine by me. I want to thank you all for your kindness and concern for Mark and for me. I also want to let you know Mark is aware I am writing about his health travails and is A-Okay with it. It is his personal business and I wouldn't say anything if he didn't want me to.

I have an appointment tomorrow morning. Hopefully I can get back to my routines, one of which is reading and commenting on your blogs. I have always been someone who is orderly and subject to routines. After my brain injury it became even more so, which means if things change I have trouble getting myself centered. Let's just say I wouldn't be able to be a horse breeder now.

Again, thank you all. 

12 comments:

Boud said...

That news is about as good as Mark can get right now. Thank you for sharing this. And thanks to Mark for permitting us to be trusted with it.

Anonymous said...

I think that is pretty good news! May all go well for both of you...
Take Care,
Kaye

Sandra said...

Boud, it is good news, under the circumstances. I thought I should say Mark knows I'm writing about him. It is important.

Sandra said...

Thank you, Kaye. We are optimistic. It's been a bit of a whirlwind!

Pixie said...

Sadly, I've had patients with three different kinds of cancer, completely unrelated. One of the patients was a nurse I went to school with. I asked her if if was genetic and she said yes, it was the JBL gene. I asked what that was and she told me, just bad luck.

Radiation works well for prostate cancer and it will also make him way more tired than he can imagine. It can burn the skin, but the nurses there will go through that with you.

Hope the melanoma is gone. Take care, both of you.

Sandra said...

Thanks for your expertise, it's appreciated, Pixie. I think we would both lose it if he had three cancers! He should find out this week about the melanoma.

Jean L. said...

Sandra, because it is late at night and I am trying to find the energy to move from the computer chair to bed, I happened to click on the desktop icon for your blog, which I have not done for years.....whenever you took a hiatus from blogging. I was beyond delighted to find you writing and will catch up as I can. I do think of you quite often.

I am sorry to hear about Mark's cancer. I will trust that it responds to treatment. I also feel badly that you took an unexplained fall.

Thank you for writing. I will go back and read.

Sandra said...

Jean, what a pleasant surprise! I started blogging again I think in March. Between Covid isolation and just life in general I needed something. Mark suggested I start blogging again, he thought it would be good for me and he was right. As usual! I hope all is well for you and Jaime.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thank, Sandra (and Mark as well) for sharing the news about his diagnosis and treatment plan. It's always good to have a medical professional who takes the time to explain everything and the available options. I hope there is encouraging news about the melanoma and am sure you will also keep us updated.

How I wish we would have a nice rainy day, because it could be used and because i want to make a pot of soup but find that hard to do with 60+ temps and sunshine. No rush on leaving a return blog comment as you have had other priorities and those come first.

Sandra said...

Beatrice, it makes all the difference when the doctor is engaged with the patient. We will hopefully get the result on the melanoma this week.

We are in serious drought and really need rain so this is great! Thank you for your concern and kindness.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Well at least you all have a plan to combat the cancer, that is a start! I hope the radiation treatments go okay for Mark.

Sandra said...

Yes, it is. Brings some sense of calm.