Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Bits

There is some material available.

What a couple of minutes scraping of Keetah produces. She has limited patience for brushing, so I do the best I can before she bolts. Then she guards her hair.

I got some work done yesterday, which means I stayed off the computer and phone. Today will be busy but I'll take some time to see what's going on with you all. I haven't made a pie in several years. I have pared it down to a galette, which is a rustic open pie. Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind to make one with pumpkin. Part of the trepidation is Mark raves about my crust and I am very out of practice. I can see crust failure in my future. Otherwise the meal is simple enough. Over the years, especially after the death of my father almost 13 years ago, I have made the meal more simple. It's down to turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes (which I could do without, but not Mark), gravy and a vegetable. None of this is difficult. I'm just hung up on the pie!


I took this photo of Tripod Kitty last evening while she was giving herself a spa treatment. This chair belongs to her, no one else, including Frieda, sits in it. She gets along amazingly well with one front leg. She can run and jump without effort. I don't think she can catch mice, she has Frieda for that. Somewhere along the way I turned into an old cat lady. Who'd a thought?


12 comments:

Boud said...

That sounds like a very reasonable dinner, not cooking to exhaustion. I think I've done a galette, if that's the one where you fold the crust over a bit at the top. Mine was trad apple. I hope there will be pictures. If you're happy with the result. I have no doubt you will be!

Sandra said...

Boud, yes. That's for when you are young or if you have friends and family contributing the the meal. Two people, one cook, it's enough. We got a 12 lb turkey. I shudder at the days of a 25 lb turkey. That was a very early morning for me!

Yes, that is a galette. A simple and delicious pie. I've made it with all kinds of fruit. I have a feeling a custard filling wouldn't work. *sigh*

Pixie said...

Keetah is a German shedder for sure. It's funny how she guards her hair. Heidi is not a huge fan of the furminator but will but up with it. Lucy hates it, the cat loves it.

I do the same with Thanksgiving, scaled down and I cook most things ahead of time, including my turkey. Ina Garten showed me this, including making the gravy ahead of time. I hate cleaning a dirty turkey pan on Thanksgiving day, it's more just dish day for the cook.

Have a lovely day.

Sandra said...

Pixie, she is definitely a German shedder! She hates the furminator but it does pull a lot out. It's nonstop with her.

I will have to look up Ina's method for future use. I had no idea about making the turkey in advance. I just got the pie crust make and chilling, now the filling. It's not as daunting as I remembered!

Pixie said...

https://barefootcontessa.com/recipes/make-ahead-roast-turkey

Lori Skoog said...

Talk about shedding! I love to make rustic (tarts) pies when I have some nice fruit around. Simple and not too big. I still do a fair amount for Thanksgiving. In addition to what you are making I will add sweet potatoes and a Waldorf salad....and my favorite cranberry/orange relish. Jenny is in charge of the pies and mashed potatoes. This year I made my own stuffing out of a loaf of bread...so tired of the prices at our grocery store. Sounds like you had a busy day...a good sign.

Val Ewing said...

Yum at all of this food! I am not a cook so simple is what I do.

I brushed my little tiny dog yesterday on the porch...whew, what a shedder. No comparison to a German Shedder though!

Have a great and peaceful day.

Sandra said...

Thank you, Pixie!

Sandra said...

I used to make sweet potatoes, Lori, but stopped after my father died. It was just he and I who ate them. A galette is so easy to make. I always make my own bread cubes, it's so easy and better, I think, than those in the store. Sometimes I make the bread and sometimes I don't. This year I used a loaf of ciabatta from the store. Just as good! Unsalted butter was $8 lb, yikes. Nope, I passed.Have a wonderful day.

Sandra said...

Charlie is so cute, Val, that he can shed all he wants! You will enjoy your BLT holiday dinner!

julochka said...

Old cat ladies are the best.

Sandra said...

I surprisingly agree with you, julochka!