Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Horse Sense

The Four Mares of the Apocalypse

Forever Elegant. Sunspot Baby. RF Fleetwind. LF Diamond Rose. All were in foal, all are now deceased. This would have been 1997? Fleetwind departed last, 12/21.

Lots of horses over lots of years. I like mares. They are matter-of-fact. I like them all, but mares...Diamond Rose once kicked my Saddlebred gelding into the next county without lifting her head from eating grass. He never bothered her again. Yes, I do admire the mares. There are still six mares on the property, two of them out of Ellie, two out of Fleety and the first born on the farm, out of Diamond Rose. Babe is now a very old lady. 

I guess it's a short stroll down Memory Lane. It's difficult to actually remember how hard I worked, it's all kind of a haze, seeming like a dream. It did give me purpose, that's for sure. I don't regret it. Even though they are expensive pasture fluffs!

Well. We are in for some weather tomorrow. Rain, followed by snow later. The fluffs will spend the day in the barn. Because they are also barn babies. The baby of the farm is the sixth mare, Ivy, now an opinionated seventeen-year-old. This is becoming a home for the elderly.







12 comments:

Boud said...

There's worse things than living in a retirement home! Especially if you're running it.

Anonymous said...

Such Memories sustain us. I like to have few regrets. Horses are such magnificent creatures...there is controversy about the Wild ones...we should leave them be. ... Dawn the Bohemian

marlane said...

I look back over my horsey years and wonder how did I get myself into this! But it was worth it and now that we have four horses we are pretty much forced to take care of them and enjoy them. I am grateful to be able to ride still at almost 70 and Doug 76. We have daughter in law Dasha and son Jonathan ( my step kids) also interested, they ride and are learning when they have time.

Sandra said...

This is true, Boud. At least to an extent!!

Sandra said...

Dawn, a certain small amount of regrets can keep us from too mush stupid in life, learning. Overall, there's not much good if one dwells in it. The mustang issue makes my blood boil.

Sandra said...

marlane, although I had a horse since childhood, which was at a boarding stable, I was city through and through. I was also bored and missing something. I guess this was the something! I'd have a lot more money without the horse obsession, but I got so much more than $$ from my long career with them. I think it's wonderful you still ride. As my horse clan grew my riding dwindled. Comes with the territory.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Rain, snow, repeat...we just have snow, not warm enough to rain:)

Sandra said...

Far Side, you are too far north for rain. I hope the rain doesn’t last long.

Val Ewing said...

We will have the rain and then snow coming also. Which means the lower drive will become a swamp and then settle into hard pack dirt.

Nice mares! My gelding mule was the absolute love of my life, but he always bowed out to any mare, they just rule the roost.

Sandra said...

Val, rain hasn't started yet. March and April are generally miserable.

They do rule the roost!

e said...

I love your horse stories and the fact that you can still give them a home.

Sandra said...

e, thanks. They are middle aged to very old. The remaining horses have spent all their lives here. If I couldn’t care for them they would be humanely put down. They don’t need to be shipped to kill. I would never do that.