Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Friday, March 31, 2023

Cat on a Piano

I have posted multiple versions of this shot. Madam is regal as she poses on the piano I don't play anymore. In this photo her contracted front leg is visible. She was one of the kittens born to a stray in the barn. There were four of them. The mama became friendly, unfortunately she disappeared after they were weaned. She'd been spayed so if she did run off, which I doubt, she wouldn't be reproducing. Three of the kittens were part-time house cats, including this one. Mona had no interest in coming inside. Miss Priss started disappearing for up to a month at a time. The last time, in 2018, she was gone for three months and we didn't expect to see her again. In late November she came limping into the barnyard. She was thin and had a dangling front leg. She became a house cat without any complaining. From the knee down she had no feeling, she was fine from the knee up. I wrapped the dragging foot until I decided what to do. In the meantime her leg contracted and I decided she could stay that way. It's not dragging, she didn't need to go through the trauma of surgery and I think it gives her balance. She gets along well. This is her fifth year as our tripod. Those four kittens will be eight at Mother's Day.


I've got soup simmering, I made tomato sauce for chili yesterday. I realized I have not made chili this year, so I'll make it today and serve it for dinner tomorrow. I think it's better the next day.

We had overnight rain and it's been raining on and off. It's supposed to snow later, so it's definitely soup and chili weather around here. I read two emotionally heavy books in a row. By the time I finished Beloved I was drained. I've read one mystery and started on another. I have always liked mysteries, so it was my go-to for lightening up. I like to guess who-done-it. Fortunately, Minnesota isn't banning books. I can't believe I am typing those words and that it's not conspiracy talk. Banning books is back. I don't bring these things up for my own sake. I spent my adult life engaged in politics, now, I can't withstand the, well...horror. Autocrats don't acquire that total power by themselves. We don't need to go back too far in history to see how it's done.

Okay, that's enough. As hard as I try to tune out, I am well aware and it's in my mind and sometimes I need to open the pressure valve. We will have soup and biscuits for lunch, a sirloin cap roast for dinner, a crackling fire. Red wine for me, rye whiskey for Mark, listen to some music and pet a cat. May you have your own pleasures.

8 comments:

Boud said...

That sounds like a great evening. Enjoy. And the food at your house is enviable.

Sandra said...

Thanks, Boud. I've always enjoyed cooking. For a couple of decades I had little time but did manage to make edible food. Now I have time and limited mobility, meaning I don't have much else to keep my mind occupied, so I spend my time cooking and baking. I also have a husband who is a world class eater, so there is that!

Anonymous said...

Your post is so lovely. I enjoy the history of your cats. They are lucky to have you .
I cannot wait until I never have to hear or see a certain "want to be autocrat" ever again. I do wish them some misery on their way into oblivion.
Take Care,
Kaye

Val Ewing said...

Well I am making potato soup today from scratch! It will be a good day for it and doing some indoor stuff.
We had over an inch of rain last night and now it is snowing hard. I know it won't stay.

I hope to get to the new book I ordered and do some creative things inside today.

I'm going to put my cell phone on do not disturb and ignore the news today.

I was rather surprised when I looked up banned books to see the lists in different states.
Sigh.
Have a cozy day!

Sandra said...

Kaye, you and me both! Cats just wander in, some have babies, some hangout for awhile, some stay. We do the best we can for them.

Sandra said...

We had rain yesterday, Val. Overnight we got a lot of snow. It's not cold out but this will take some time melting, we have over two feet of snow. Enjoy your soup!

Far Side of Fifty said...

North Dakota is trying to ban some books...I cannot believe it. Looks like your kitty gets along just fine and she has a beautiful perch. Apparently you used to play...that is a real talent!

Sandra said...

Far Side, either can I, it's a definite step in the wrong direction. She does, she can do anything with 3 legs she did with 4. She loves her perch, which is why I have so many photos of the same theme! I did. I was mediocre but I enjoyed it. My hands are very arthritic, so it's a cat perch.