Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, March 18, 2023

Still Winter

We've been spending a lot of time in front of a fire. It has been cold, yesterday we got to 8F as a high. Started out at zero this morning. 


Neighbor Bill stopped by this morning for about an hour, we solved all the problems of the world, then he went home to start lunch. We haven''t seen him in quite awhile. It was good to see someone other than a doctor. 

I started my self-prescribed thyroid medication yesterday. I'm hopeful it will help me, regardless of the medical diagnosis of Mental. Fat. Old. I have MFO. I have stayed level in mood ever since I found myself released by the medical establishment, i.e., kicked to the proverbial curb. I did not know how much it was weighing me down. So, onward, forward, whatever, upward? The mood is upward. That's a huge improvement.

I have things I promised myself I would do today. Right now I feel I can do them. Seeing Bill did brighten my day, I hope he knows how appreciated he is. He went home to leftover corned beef for lunch, we get leftover soup. We are all happy.



15 comments:

e said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the visit and have the means to alter your mood and thyroid despite doctor doom and gloom. Vitamin D also helps mood and a host of other things. Enjoy that fire.

Sandra said...

Thanks, e. The dr who put me on thyroid in 2014 found I had almost no Vitamin D. It's not uncommon to be low on it in a far northern place, but I really had nothing. I am dutiful with my vitamins now!

Lori Skoog said...

I'm sure you know how to take on the reins! Keep it up. You sure live in a VERY cold place!

Sandra said...

Lori, I've been placed in a position leaving me no choice. Take the reins or go over the cliff. Yes, it's cold here. Summer has become miserable over the past dozen years. We could get hot and humid but now it's like living in a tropical place. We have dew points in the 70s all the time and sometimes in the 80s. Winter doesn't seem so bad when faced with that.

Val Ewing said...

Well good to hear from you! It is good to know taking your own actions are something that elevates your mood. Good company always helps too.

I had a tough time with this weather. ME! Who likes winter! I spent the day quietly doing 'stuff' indoors.

We got up to 20 today.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are in charge and moving forward. You also make me laugh, a very witty person you are. I think I have MFO too.
It was 4 degrees this morning and more snow coming Sunday and through out the week. I long for mud season...
Take Care,
Kaye

Boud said...

I'm glad you've taken over the management of your health. You're probably a better expert on it than the "health care" professionals who've been insulting you when they're not ignoring you. Good for you.

Sandra said...

Kate, I live by, if I don’t laugh, I’ll cry! Besides, I think I was born droll. You are living cold, too. We are going to start warming, but you never know where that is going.

Sandra said...

Kaye, not Kate.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I hope the thyroid med helps, MFO I am sure that there are many of us that qualify.:) You are not alone!

Sandra said...

Boud, they left me with no choice. Hopefully I will get some relief. I’m finally seeing imperfect foods with Misfits. Right now I don’t like it. My eggs are gone, the chicken I bought is gone.

Sandra said...

Far Side, I have no doubt. Maybe we will see a Pharma ad for MFO soon.

Sandra said...

Val, March is transitional, not the best month for being outside.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

A visit from a good friend can certainly brighten a day, as can a call or letter. I will admit the photo of you relaxing in front of a fire with a blanket and cat on your lap looked cozy to me. A level mood is a good thing and hoping it continues, kicked to the curb may have been just the thing, you think?

Sandra said...

Beatrice, it was just the thing. The longer it went the worse I felt, mentally. I tried to get through and couldn’t. Now that they broke up with me, I feel so much better.

Mark likes sitting in front of the pellet stove, it means he doesn’t have to haul wood in for a fireplace! It’s fine by me.