Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Never Too Old


Food report:  I made fish or fisherman's pie for dinner. My blog friend, Boud, mentioned it and I had to try. I really liked it and so did Mark. It's like a cottage pie with fish and a creamy sauce. I'm amazed at how good it was. Adding horseradish to the mashed potatoes, sweet potato to the vegetables and Old Bay to the poaching milk boasted the flavor.

Other than this, life is rolling along. We are still in winter, it was 7F overnight, will reach freezing today and an exact repeat tonight and tomorrow. We are glad to have a slow thaw, with all the snow we've had it could be a wet mess in three of my stalls. The barn is at the bottom of a slope. We had drain tile put in to stop the water, but decades have passed and it's not working as well as it did. I do have reserve stalls in the adjoining pole barn if needed.

I am feeling better, not my body but my attitude. I am taking more of an interest in life, perhaps it's medication or perhaps it's getting off the medical hamster wheel. No matter, I am more engaged. 


I have a motto I formed over the past couple of years; eat the food, drink the wine, pet the animals. It's what we have control over. I'll add; enjoy the beauty around you. 


11 comments:

Boud said...

Great new attitude there! And I like the additions you made to the pie. It's much better than the name suggests. Needs a posher name.

Sandra said...

Tarte au poisson! Putting the Old Bay in with the milk added depth of flavor I had half of a raw sweet potato I cubed and sautéed with carrots, onion, garlic and fennel. After I put horseradish in the mashed potatoes I thought it might be too much but after baking it really worked. That you for putting me onto this. I would never have considered it otherwise.

e said...

I am glad you are feeling better Sandra!

Sandra said...

Thank you, e. Now if my wretched body could do the same!

Lori Skoog said...

You sound great! I love your motto and your attitude! Can't believe how much colder it is at your farm....and all that snow. We were in the mid 40s today but expect a huge drop in temperature tomorrow evening with some blustery snow. My brain says it is time for Spring to really get started.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I agree but we hardly ever have wine or anything alcohol. My husband would say enjoy the coffee:)

Anonymous said...

I like your motto and shall adopt it as my own.
You are witty, wise and not afraid to go on your own. A triple threat, no you are more than that you are kind.
Take Care,
Kaye
Park City, UT

PriyankUnikart said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sandra said...

Lori, I'm better! This is not abnormal weather, but who know what's normal anymore. It's cold again today. Spring will come. It will!

Sandra said...

Far Side, I can go with enjoy the coffee!

Sandra said...

Kaye, thank you so much. You are kind.

There is so much beyond our control and awful that I decided I had to block as much of it as possible and live my life in the moment. As much as that is possible.🍷