Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Friday, March 10, 2023

Metaphor and Other Gibberish

The sustenance of life.


I had a busy day, for me, yesterday. I made buttery baking powder biscuits, this loaf of bread (white whole wheat, all purpose flour, Herbes de Provence) and pizza dough which became pizza for dinner. Whew! It snowed all day and into the night. Most didn't stick because we were right above freezing. The overnight snow has stuck around. There's more coming next week. By the time I had my first cup of coffee Mark had let the horses out, took the garbage to the road and shoveled the sidewalk and deck. We have switched, he's now the morning person and I'm the night person.

A couple of days ago the kitchen TV was on, some older show, the guy used the term bread for money. Mark commented he hadn't heard that for a really long time. He wondered why money was called bread. I think because bread was for centuries the sustenance of life and money is also the sustenance of life. Maybe too logical, but it works for me!

I make egg bakes all the time, another easy go-to. If I have the energy I think I will make a quiche for dinner. I might as well keep the dough rolling. Another word for money. I think I'm onto something. I have bacon ends and asparagus to use, so if I don't feel like making a crust I'll simply make the bake.

So, I wonder where moola came from?

13 comments:

Boud said...

Then there's lettuce for folding money. Moola, I don't know. I bet Haggard Hawks would though.

e said...

I have read all your posts and was struck by your post about your mother. She sounds a bit like mine. You would likely understand our complicated relationship. Your foods are beautiful and I completely get your issues with our so-called medical system. I'm glad Gatto has settled and made friends with the other animals in your household.

Sandra said...

oh, yes. Lettuce! Haggard Hawks probably would know, those puzzles give me a headache, Boud. :)

Sandra said...

e, people like my mother are not all that rare. What is rare is to talk about it. I definitely would understand your relationship. The medical establishment saga continues. Now it's that I need to go to weight management and when you get older things happen. I guess that's why most of my hair fell out and I have purpura over my back and legs. Thanks for your comment.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Bread, moola, scratch, franklins, bucks, clams, greenbacks all the same:) Your bread looks awesome!

Sandra said...

Far Side, 😄

Thanks, it's good. I love making bread. And eating bread.

Val Ewing said...

How about Geetus, or Geetis. That was the slang word for money that Rich's dad used all the time.
We use it too, but most don't get the reference.
I think it was a slang word from the 1920 or 30's? Not sure.

Bread looks yummy.

Lori Skoog said...

I wish I could get motivated to learn how to make good bread....yours looks so good. Let me know if you find out where all those slang words came from. We got hit with a lot of snow in a short time and it should slow down in a few hours. I'm sure your ponies appreciate being inside at night...cleaning all those stalls has to take a lot of time!

Sandra said...

Val, I looked up geetus, never heard of it. It seems it came into the slang for money in the 20s. There us no known explanation for why. The herbs add a subtle flavor to the bread.

Sandra said...

Lori, bread really isn’t difficult. Look up some no-knead recipes. They are pretty basic and easy to make. I should look them up. We’ve got more coming, snow that is. Typical for March. The horses are used to coming in, they’d pitch a fit if left out!

Anonymous said...

My God Woman you make a busy day sound so yummy and I just find mine exhausting...I should learn to bake...lol.

Anonymous said...

Dawn... The Bohemian... sorry I am Anonymous when I comment on the phone

Sandra said...

Dawn, I like to bake but mostly keep it to bread. I don't need to eat bakery goods! I was tired in the afternoon.