Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Life in my Lane

April in Minnesota is Winter Junior.


We moved from the cozy snug to the living room for a couple of nights, thinking it would be warm enough to open the huge hole in the roof, otherwise known as a flue. The bat cave, which goes by the name Fireplace requires a giant hole in the roof so as to not smoke us out. I like to use this one when I can because the living room is open to the kitchen so I can see the fire while I work. The thing is, Minnesota hasn't given up on winter yet so it's just a bad idea to light this thing. So, back to the snug where it's much more efficient. We are guaranteed cool evenings for awhile which will be perfect for using the bat cave, just not yet. Until then.....

6 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

I called my parents wood chimney a bat trap...and then we would release them into the house:( We have a gas fireplace and I like it for chilly evenings when I just want it cozy warm:)

Sandra said...

We've had wood ducks get caught in the flue, there isn't a cover over the opening of the chimney. Somehow we haven't gotten around to that. This fireplace is large. I can stand in it. Somehow it makes me think of the Bat Cave. I wouldn't mind gas, so much simpler. I've had a bat in the house once, in our St. Paul home. It was HUGE.

julochka said...

I envy your fireplace but at least we have a furnace again. Though it’s still awfully cold in the old part of the house (where we still live). And there’s a chilly wind blowing in from Russia. I could use a fireplace, bat cave and all.

Sandra said...

A furnace is a good thing to have. Two fireplaces is a luxury to have. The normal one has glass doors and a fan that blows heat into the room. That is the winter fireplace. Bat Cave is the spring fireplace. Can JP put in a wood stove? They are so efficient. I have a pellet wood stove for supplemental heat. This place sucks up the propane.

Bohemian said...

I remember Maine and Upper Michigan's Springs just being Mini Winter... here in the Arizona Desert Spring is just Mini Summer.

Sandra said...

April is rarely spring in Minnesota. We are used to it. Don't always like it but make the best of it. I have lived in two states without a real winter; California and Georgia. It was nice but I am a Northlander at heart.