Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Coping

I am, or was, a political nerd. I studied European History and Political Science at university. I grew up in a family that I later quipped held the DFL as our religion and the union our god. I volunteered on George McGovern's presidential campaign. My first political action of protest was several walkouts in high school protesting the Vietnam war. I dutifully attended our caucuses and was a district delegate for the DFL several times. This is to give a little background into my deeply held convictions and action. I say this because I have come to a point in my worldview where I have stopped paying attention, or as much as I can. I would like to say it started with Donald Trump. No, it did not. The downfall really got rolling with Ronald Reagan, then Bill Clinton, moved onto Bush II and came to a crescendo with Barack Obama. Trump was a natural conclusion. If natural can in anyway be used in anything Trump. As I see Europe taking a step into authoritarianism and the US teetering on the brink, perhaps a little more than teetering, I think back to history and realize all things seem to come around again. There is something in human beings which has a self-destructive bent. It's like a moth drawn to a flame. We cannot help ourselves. The planet is heating at an accelerated rate and we scream for more oil production. A pandemic happens, a deluded moron talks about drinking bleach and it's treated as another day in the life. We have an insurrection and the Party of Patriots applauds. These same stellar beings have fallen head over heels for Vladimir Putin, the very people of the party of Joseph McCarthy. The same people who decried Sharia Law when a national healthcare system was proposed but cheer the so-called morality laws being enacted across the country. The True Patriots who cannot see democracy eroding right under their noses, who pipe up with "we're not a Democracy, we are a Republic". These people who call me a sheep as they gather gape-jawed in worship of a grifter. Billionaires go into space while their American brethren cannot afford insulin. I have realized I have no control over any of this. It's a steamroller on the history loop. Unfortunately, we are running out of time. If nuclear weapons don't end our future, climate change will. It's the elephant in the room, it may be ignored but it's larger than we are and eventually will walk over us all. 

My coping mechanism is to live my life the best I am able. I tell Mark we drink the wine, eat the food. Plant the garden, pet the animals. Be kind. I have no control over what Vladimir Putin will do. I have control over what I do. My world has narrowed down to this.


4 comments:

Bohemian said...

Excellent Post... my World has narrowed down to pretty much this too. I always was an Anti-Establishment sort since it seemed to me that The Establishment, as it's been for a very long time, had flaws that were never corrected and Politicians just doing Politics as usual and making empty Promises to the Hopeful, the Deluded, the Bases they pander to. Then came Trump and I quickly realized we're indeed on the Eve of Destruction as a Nation now that we are no longer even pretending to be a UNITED States of America. I don't recognize what we're becoming and in some parts, have already become. I often use Gallow's Humor about it, since I can't Control or Cope with hardly any of it. My Home State here has elected the likes of Hot Topic Bimbo Sinema and Dumbass Ducey... Florida's Leadership makes me wonder if we should just give Florida to Cuba? *LOL* And don't even get me started about States like Texas and other places the Lunatic Fringe reside in large numbers and behave in ways that make me question where their allegiance lies? Mebbe we should ship all of them to Russia for a while so they actually experience what living in an Authoritarian Regime is REALLY like... nothing like their Fantasy.

Sandra said...

I used to say we should give Texas back to Mexico but they wouldn't take it! Yes, you are correct, pretense is gone, It's right out there and it doesn't matter. I don't see anything good coming from this. In the meantime, the climate doesn't care, it's getting worse fast and we are whistling. I've seen the photos of Lake Mead and Lake Powell. There were more tornadoes in March than in anytime in recorded history. But by all means, Don't Say Gay. Good god almighty.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Term limits would sure clean a bit of Washington out...and how about Politicians that could balance a budget...like most women in America! You are correct...I can do so little, just take cate of our own little spot in the boonies:)

Sandra said...

A big step would be taking money out of campaigns. Out-right bribery. But, I give up. We really don't have any control. I cast my vote. That's about it.