Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Thursday, April 21, 2022

And So It Goes

Things change. Time goes by. This fellow died five years ago today. 


To say I was attached to Howard and he to me is an understatement. I got him as a puppy after my basset, Harvey, died. Howard came with 'tude and then some! He was my Howard B. Hound, my stubborn, yeasty, hunk of folded flesh and his death broke me. I still had a basset I adopted as a senior, but Murphy died a year later. Basset Hounds are interesting, no doubt about it. We were dog-less until my mother's two came to live with us a couple years later. Now it's one dog. I don't plan on any more, but we all know about plans.

A change comes in taking this fencing down, the outdoor riding arena. It hasn't been used in years and the proliferation of wild grape vine has taken it over. The fence is drooped from the weight. A tree fell on a portion of it last year, breaking that section. Mark is outside lopping the vines off at the ground to make it easier to dismantle the fence. Many, many hours were spent in this space. My three dressage horses practically lived there. You wouldn't know it was sand, nature takes over in a flash, it's completely filled in with grass. Another era has a visible passing. 

This is the project I told Mark I was going to do when the weather improved. I can sit on a step stool and lop. He obviously doesn't want me to do that because he got sudden motivation to do it himself. After telling me he wouldn't be able to do it this year. I didn't intend for him to, but my speaking about doing it sure got him interested!

It's a passing with some memories but not with sadness. It's past its' prime and looks a royal mess. Time to go. It will take some getting used to looking out my office window and not see the fence.

Tomorrow is more rain. When it does warm up we will green like crazy. There isn't a leaf bud on a tree or bush and absolutely nothing is coming up in the perennial beds. We just need warm weather. My propane bill would also appreciate some warm weather. 

Well. that's all the news fit to print. 



 

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Losing pets is very hard. We used to babysit the neighbors Bassett...her name escapes me now, but she hated being alone so she stayed with Chance and us when ever her people went places she couldn't go.

Sandra said...

They are unique. Stubborn but loyal critters. I've had a lot of dogs, more than might be usual because I took in others rejects. Living here I could have 7 large dogs at a time. The man we bought from left his dogs here. Now we have cats!