Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Friday, April 15, 2022

Books, Wind and a Clay Pot

I have an app, audiobooks now, which has lots of books priced at $3.99. This was one, published in 2011. I don't know anything about James Garfield, other than he was assassinated within his first year as President. I've just started the book and I think it will be interesting. It is nonfiction. 


I should get a library card and get audio books that way. I have so many on various apps it seems like a waste of space. I like to be read to. I can sit in my chair and listen or I can be busy and still listen. I do not like ebooks. If I'm going to read I hold a real book. Something else a library card would be good for, I don't want anymore books, I am loaded down with them and I'm trying to have less of everything in my waning years.

It's cold and windy today. We had overnight snow and I understand the roads were nearly impassable. The horses are in the barn for a second day, the wind is blowing hard and they get quite agitated and can be a danger to themselves and also to the person handling them. My horses all go in and out of the barn on a lead rope. There are times when prudence is called for. 

I have a large pork roast thawed. I use a clay pot for most roasts and especially pork. It is easy to make a pork roast too dry. Clay pot roasting is a wonder! A soaked pot, moderately high heat and some form of liquid in the pot and it's so tender. I use white wine. I used to love white wine to drink but somewhere along the way it became too acidic for me, but I always have it on hand for cooking. A good white  wine, if it's not worth drinking it's not worth having in the house. That's my motto.

This is Easter weekend for many people. Not for us, we don't Easter, but lots of people do. Whether for religious reasons, family gathering or baskets of candy for the children from that over-worked bunny. Nine times out of ten Easter in Minnesota is snowy, so all those nice spring outfits sort of get lost under warm coats.

I'm having a stream of consciousness. It's rather soothing to write what comes to mind as my fingers tap the keyboard in my unusual hunt & peck style. My coffee cup is empty, it's after 11:00 am and I do have life to attend to. It is a pleasure to write for a bit. I don't know why I enjoy it but I do. And that's enough.

Ciao 

8 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Cold and windy here too, we cannot catch a break...March had better weather than April!

Sandra said...

It did! It's been awful so far. It's supposed to get better, believe it when I see it.

37paddington said...

I've always thought that to write as the muse moves you is like a meditation, a chance to go inward and check in with yourself, which makes for a very open-hearted sharing.

Sandra said...

That's exactly how it feels. Coming from a writer I will take it to heart.

julochka said...

As you know I use Audible, but it does feel a bit wrong to give more money to Amazon. I have an app from the library where I can loan audio books as well, though the selection is pretty limited. But, I love them, because I can listen to a story on a walk or while I'm gardening or cooking. I have even gotten in the habit of falling asleep to an audio book, though I always have to replay that chapter, as it does put me to sleep nicely. What's the app with the 3.99 books? I listen to a lot of podcasts as well, though sometimes the news becomes too much for me and so I need some nice fiction for awhile.

Your mention of the clay pot reminds me that I had one. I wonder where it is? It is very good for a pork roast.

julochka said...

I realized that the name of the app is audiobooks now - I was thinking you meant that you were listening to audiobooks now. 🤪

Sandra said...

They have periodic sales, books at 3.99. Amazon also lets you read certain books for free, it asks as a library. You can add audio for a couple of bucks.

Sandra said...

I hope you find the clay pot, it does pork roast so well.