Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Tuesday Afternoon, What Can I Say

 A Moment

Aging. Everything and one does it. We have aged wine, cheese. Aged beef, wood. These are things which become more valuable when aged. I am human. I am aged. There hovers a hint of irrelevance around the aged. An old horse hasn't any value. An old woman, unnoticed. Mindful of the time passed and the future smaller. Carrying the dutch oven became a weight lifting moment, it seems to have happened when I wasn't looking. I think we often go about our days not looking, they feel as if they will stretch on to infinity. Then one day, your back doesn't want to straighten. There's crepe paper skin on your hands. When did that happen? Then, then I think about the people who will never have to wonder where the crepe skin came from. Getting old is irreversible, so perhaps it's best not to look in the review mirror, whilst trying to shift into reverse. 




Put on the sunglasses, pull your cap down on your head and hit the gas. It's already been a bumpy ride, there's nothing to lose but time. 

6 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Good advice, I think I always feel oldest in late winter...Spring and warmth will do it too but differently:) Nice to meet you, thanks for the comment on my blog. We live near Osage MN most of the year and the hardest of winter in East Grand Forks with our daughter and her husband:)

julochka said...

Aside from a few years of invisibility in my mid 40s, I don’t mind getting older. Each year feels like the logical next step. I wouldn’t want to go back, not without knowing what I know now. I love my suitcase (baggage) of experience. And if that means my cheeks look more and more like my dad’s and my hands and neck are a bit crepe-y, so be it. There’s always still something to learn - new recipes, new hobbies, new books to read. Though ask me again in 10 years, I might feel differently then. 🤪

Sandra said...

You are on my blog roll so I had some interaction with you back in the day, but that's at least a decade ago and I don't remember either! I live about 25 miles west of Mpls. I'm happy to see you are still blogging.

Sandra said...

Maybe age will not impact you. I hope not. It got me a few years ago, but as the saying goes, it beats the alternative! You are active and engaged with people, that helps a lot.

Bohemian said...

I can't be Invisible, so I'm Aging Disgracefully. As my Dear Ole' flamboyant Mom used to always say, 'tis better to be looked over than overlooked. *Winks* When people Remember me my Grandkids joke about, how could they Forget you Gramma, you aren't your Garden Variety Old Woman? *LOL* Old Age being a Privilege not afforded to many I rejoice in the attainment of it. I also do Mom's Old Trick of adding a Decade if anyone asks my Age, ensures a complimentary response that is sincere and who doesn't need that? Mom always said Women lied in the Wrong direction about their Age, adding a Decade always worked for her. *Smiles*

Sandra said...

You have found the way to your happiness! I am a reserved person. Not shy, by any means, but a watcher.