Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Friday, April 1, 2022

Molto Bene

Eggplant Involtini



 If someone sees this, do yourself a favor and make it. It's simple and can be made in advance. Something important to me as by evening my back has had it. It's as simple as baking thin eggplant strips brushed with a little oil, a parmesan and ricotta filling wrapped in those strips and baked in tomato sauce. I put a little pesto on the eggplant before wrapping the cheese. Delicious.

It's a chilly but sunny day, I've got chicken bones and aromatic & vegetable scraps simmering for stock, and a plan to use leftover chicken with fennel, asparagus and linguine for dinner. With the cost of groceries, save your bones and scraps in the freezer. It's extremely satisfying to make great food with things that are typically thrown out. I've turned into my grandma, bib apron and all.
Ciao

6 comments:

Bohemian said...

That does indeed sound and look delish, I can only imagine how good it tastes and smells!

Sandra said...

Hi! It tastes fantastic and it's so simple. My kind of food.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I think we are all going to turn into our grandmothers if food prices go up any higher. I know I'm making an effort not to be so wasteful in the kitchen. I've not a fan of eggplant but your chicken stock sounds wonderful. I can almost smell it.

Sandra said...

Hi! You know, my husband didn't like eggplant but I changed his mind. It really is a sponge and takes on the flavor of what accompanies it. A good sauce and a bunch of cheese make all the difference. Also, if they are breaded, say for parmesana, using cornflake crumbs ramps it up. Think about bagging and freezing your bones and veg/aromatic bits. It's so easy to make stock and costs nothing. Thanks for checking in. BTW, I loved my grandma and and pleased to have become her!

julochka said...

I have two eggplants left from my box, so I think I’ll make this! Yummy!

Sandra said...

So good. So simple. Tough to beat that!