Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Friday, April 29, 2022

One Thing or Another

You know the saying, "when it rains, it pours". It's pouring. Last month my dishwasher stopped draining. It could be something as "simple" as a clog. That simple will be expensive and then may not be the problem. I decided not to roll the dice on a 12 year old appliance. So, I've been doing dishes by hand because appliances are  now even more expensive than they have been and I can wait. It makes a great dish drainer! This is rain.

What makes it pour? 

The freezer part of my side-by-side refrigerator isn't working properly and the gaskets and side wall got hot. I cleaned the coils, which didn't help. This appliance looks new but is 20 years old. I'm not going to have a service call on a 20 year old refrigerator. I have a chest freezer in the basement, thankfully. I made reference awhile ago to my tendency to food hoard. My freezers are both full, so it was quite the task to squeeze it all in one freezer. 

I am finding the positive. I don't need to hoard food in a freezer. I have multiples of meat, lots of it. Frozen vegetables by the bushel. There are four loaves of purchased bread, which we rarely use. I put a thermometer in the defunct freezer, if it is cold enough to refrigerate I'll use it as a refrigerator. I can go without the freezer part until autumn when I start freezing produce. Perhaps by that time appliance cost may come down. More to the point, I will be forced to use what I have instead of constantly adding more. I don't know where this came from, one thing I did not have in my life is hunger. 

As far as literally pouring, tonight and through the day tomorrow it is going to rain. Again.

I'll leave it with that.


2 comments:

Bohemian said...

I was spoiled that our old Appliances lasted so long, new ones are designed to be disposable in just a few years no matter how much you pay for them.

Sandra said...

I know what you mean. So, unless one has limitless funds it makes no sense to pay a lot. I paid more than I liked, though because I am wanting something a little nicer. So I'm caught in the web myself!