Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Thursday, October 6, 2022

Cogs in a Wheel

Chunky potato, leek and ham soup for lunch yesterday. No cream, just the taters thickening it. Sage in brown butter garnish along with the brown butter. Filling stuff. Mark is meh about soup but he really liked this one. That's a score! It will be a repeat today.


A favorite meal was had for dinner. I love roasted chicken and I really love that everything in done in one pan. The evening light made the color a little off, but I do like the skin dark and crispy. And more bones, more stock. More stock, more soup.

Bob wanted to know how many more small square bales I need so I added up my total to date and it turns out to be only about 200 more. I still need 40 round bales, if they are the 1,100 pound rounds. If smaller I'll need more. I want the big ones, less moving bales to the paddocks. I'll take what I get.

I saw OPEC is going to reduce production by two million barrels per day. Here we go again. We are cogs in a perpetual wheel.

14 comments:

Val Ewing said...

Looks like gas will head back up as it jumped here already .10 a gallon.
Of course it will be our president's fault when gas rises again. As if he can control the futures market.

Your dish looks fantab--uu-lous. I'm doing BLT's tonight and Bacon/Tomato soup tomorrow.

Hmmm, just saw a dust devil blow through the pasture....

Sandra said...

I know. This is about Russia, the Saudi government wanting Biden out and just a couple of weeks out from an election. Polls have been showing "inflation" is the number one issue. Greedflation is more like it. The Federal reserve is trying to up unemployment and lower wages. Cogs in a goddamn wheel.

I like both of those. Love a good BLT.

Boud said...

That soup sounds great. I'm planning on leek and potato soup this week and I'm going to try the sage leaves this time, too.

Lori Skoog said...

Just plain yum! The timing for the gas prices being jacked is totally related to the mid term election. Why can't I post photos on my blog? Any thoughts?

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yummy looking chicken! Soon we will have to go back to living in groups in caves to stay warm here in Minnesota! :)

Pixie said...

I found a recipe for beef ragu and made it today. I was impressed with how nice it got in the oven with a nice long, slow cook. My husband loved it and even had seconds and he's not a fan of pasta usually. I ate it but didn't love it. Too much beef flavor and for some reason that reminds me of my ex:) It was easy while I always appreciate. I'll have to find some more slow cooked sauces. Any suggestions?

Sandra said...

Lori, I sent you am email.

Sandra said...

Boud, it's a good soup! It's also soup weather.

Sandra said...

Far Side, you may be right!

Sandra said...

Pixie, off the top of my head...osso buco is braised veal shanks. I use beef shanks instead of veal. Really any tough cut of meat is great for braising. Beef braised in dark, creamy beer is great. You can braise pork in milk. I make curry with stew meat. Ham is delicious slow cooked in white wine. Yum! Chicken braises well. Then there is tomato sauce simmered all day. Very different from a quick sauce, which is good, but the depth of a long simmered tomato sauce is different. Maybe do a google search of braised and slow cooked food.

Val Ewing said...

MMMMM...

Looks like today will be a good day for soup here too!
Hard frost this morning...Saturday. :)

Sandra said...

It's brisk! We haven't had a hard frost yet but it's in the 30s

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Yeah for soup weather and in the past 2 weeks, I have made cauliflower soup with carrots added and a veggie minestrone pasta soup. It’s a great way to use veggies up. Chicken soup will be next.

Sandra said...

I love soup, Beatrice. We are soup goddesses!