Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Friday, October 21, 2022

More of the Same

I got a full ice cube tray from the fronds of three fennel bulbs. Fennel is a favorite of mine.


In the spirit of 2022 my laptop decided it was time to die this morning. I'm not a superstitious person but this is beginning to be a bit much. I am relegated to my office and the iMac. It feels like 2008 all over again, when I started blogging and only had the desktop. So much has changed. Including me, never thought in 2008 I'd be shuffling along with a cane!

We have warm weather through Monday so we are getting a break while we wait for the furnace. My son is camping with a friend, they are getting nice weather. Although I'm not sure it matters that much to him as he camps during winter. That is beyond my comprehension. He needs the break, it's been a stressful time with his wife's family. The mother has cancer again, his wife's twin sister has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer and the brother just got a diagnosis of a progressive, debilitating disorder. It's a lot. He, his beloved Yorkie, Homer and his friend, Brian can relax for a few days. Matthew bought Homer an armored coat to protect him from raptors, it has metal spikes. Who knew! You have to like a large man who loves his tiny dog.

I made a huge kitchen mess yesterday and didn't clean it up. That is my task now. Mark has to go into town so he is going to pick up lunch. I have leftover sauce and meatballs so I don't need to make dinner. Other than my big kitchen mess I don't have kitchen food prep duty today. That's fine with me.

Have a good one.




9 comments:

Boud said...

Well, maybe the computer is the third and final breakdown? What a series.
I'm amazed by winter camping. It's in there with winter wild swimming as a mysterious calling, to me.
I love the idea of the armor plated tiny yorkie! If you ever get any pictures that would be great, nice change from other things.

Sandra said...

I hope it's the end of the breakdowns! I don't get winter camping. He likes it. I asked him to send me a photo of Goth Homer.

Pixie said...

Your son obviously loves his dog:)

I've never had a laptop so I can't give any opinion on which one is best. I didn't know anything about fennel so looked it up and came across a recipe for pork and fennel ragu which I might try.

Sorry to hear about your son's brother in law. I looked up that disease too and it sounds awful. I was listening to the radio yesterday and this researcher was talking about the people who survived the black death and other diseases in the past. His group's theory is that they had an excellent immune systerm that helped them survive but we no longer have has many infectious diseases as we once had and now our immune systems are mistakenly attacking our own bodies.

Here's the article.
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2022/10/19/1129965424/how-black-death-survivors-gave-their-descendants-an-edge-during-pandemics

Sandra said...

My son loves that dog. He's the only dog he's owned.

I like fennel a lot. It's good raw in salads. Fantastic with pork and chicken. I also make a gratin with it. I have not made a ragu with it, though. Next on my list!

Yes, autoimmune disorders are tough, so much isn't understood. Thanks for the ling, I will look at it.

Sandra said...

Pixie, if you use fennel and it comes with fronds, don't throw them away. They make a good pesto. I use hazelnuts or walnuts.

Lori Skoog said...

I'd say that you have reached your quota of breakdowns! I do all my stuff on an iMac and love it. Hope everything comes to gather in a hurry and thank you for sending us some lovely weather!!!

Val Ewing said...

Awww man! or woman! Enough is enough right?

Last year my laptop did this fun thing ... the endless spinning blue ball thingy. I couldn't shut it down and start it anymore without waiting for over an hour.
This was a day or so after a Woodchuck ate my transmission line in my Subaru...

Hopefully this next week will bring a lot more joy.

A spike coat? This I have to see!

Sandra said...

Lori, you are welcome!

I can do without anymore breakdowns. I got used to taking the laptop anywhere I happened to be. It's probably a good thing it quit working.

Sandra said...

Val, yikes! that was an expensive week. I put a photo of Homer up today.