Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, October 26, 2022

The Heat is On

The new furnace was installed yesterday. They were here from 9:00 - 2:00. There were no problems and now we have heat


The son's car was stolen sometime during Monday night/early Tuesday morning. It was found with a seized engine a few miles away. Now they go through the insurance maze. Stealing cars and car parts has really ramped up. Yesterday was a bad day for them.

Bill plans to fix my wood pellet stove on Saturday. That will mean all of my heating options should be good to go before the long winter sets in. Then we just need to pick up a pallet of pellets. We have waited just incase it doesn't work.

I roasted a pie pumpkin yesterday for future pumpkin pie. It's been several years since I have made a pie. I tend toward galettes these days, so much easier. I also roasted a sheet pan of tomatoes that were getting soft, the last from the garden. That roasting turned into dinner with sausage and kalamata olives. Dinner took the time it takes for pasta to cook. Can't beat that!


It's chilly but the sun is out. One dead tree is mostly cut up for burning and I actually feel some motivation creeping into my system. Probably because I don't want Bill to see the dust and dog hair in the living room! I still have some pride. That whole part of the house could disappear for the amount of time we use it. Like, never.

Off to it. Keetah's barking, again. More animated so it may actually mean something. Probably not. Take care. Ciao.

12 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad to read that the furnace install went smoothly and that you have heat! But, it was not so good to read about the theft of your son's car. There is nothing better than a dinner that's made easy and with ingredients on hand. It's what I did last night by making a frittata and tonight will be a shepherd's pie. Both meals were to use up all the fresh vegetables before a grocery store trip in a couple of days. Better yet, we have leftov ers for a few days, win-win!

Boud said...

I'm glad the heating is pretty much sorted before the winter. That's a relief. Not so good about the car theft though, dang.

Sandra said...

Beatrice, it's a bummer for them, he had just made the final payment on the car Monday. Talk about timing.

My days of complicated cooking are over. I appreciate fresh, fast and flavorful! You reminded me of shepherd's pie. It's so good. I'm going to make a pork roast with fennel tonight. It takes care of itself.

I hated the need to buy a new furnace but since we had no choice it's good to have to over with.

Sandra said...

Boud, I know. It's not something a person expects.

Pixie said...

I new furnace is a beautiful thing. We had a new one installed last winter sometime in our rental house. That sucks for your son.

You talking about supper reminded me that I want to make supper ahead of time today so I better get on that. Have a lovely, warm day.

Far Side of Fifty said...

So glad the furnace is installed! :)

Sandra said...

Thanks Pixie. It's a overcast drizzly day today. But we have heat!

Sandra said...

Me, too Far Side!

Val Ewing said...

Wow, when it rains for you, it surely pours.

Having a vehicle stolen?
Since we live so remotely, we don't much think about that too much.

Shaking my head and wishing it wasn't so.

Your meal looks delicious.

Lori Skoog said...

How did I miss this post? Love those simple pasta meals....your photos should be in a magazine. So sorry that your sons car was stolen....we are living in a disastrous place at the moment. All hell has broken loose in so many directions. Our insurance company has told us we have to remove 5 trees to keep coverage. That does not make my day. Glad that your tree is being taken care of.

Sandra said...

Val, it sure does! The towns around us are having problems with theft and house break-ins.

Sandra said...

Leftover almost anything can end up with pasta, Lori!

It's a feeling of violation when someone break-in to you home or your auto. I've had both but not a car actually stolen.