Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Sunday, January 29, 2023

The Orange Ones

A cat and his dog.


Gatto is attached to Keetah. Right from the start, he never saw her as a threat. He spends a lot of his day laying on the floor next to her.

It's currently -9 F. It probably won't get above zero today. I have leftover soup so I don't need to come up with lunch. I don't mind that. The equines are staying in the barn today, mainly to keep the water buckets from freezing.


The boy above is Crabby Tabby, perhaps the one and only orange tabby without the over-friendly gene. He was a kitten in this photo. He and the other three, Mona, Blackie and Jiggs were born in the barn in 2015. Jiggs now is a full-time house cat due to the loss of a front leg. Blackie and Tabs used to be part-timers until Keetah came here. They do not like her. Mona never wanted to come inside.


This tabby, Murphy, showed up in the winter of 2012. He definitely has the friendly gene. I had an old house cat at the time who got along very well with dogs but would not tolerate another cat in her house. I ended up neutering him and giving him to my mother. He was Keetah's buddy who now lives with my son and their other cat, Twinks. 

I'm a cat lady. OMG.

10 comments:

Val Ewing said...

Oh no! The crazy Cat Lady!
Sorry, I had to laugh. I had cats as a kid and dogs and cats later on.

You provide a wonderful service to cats! You know, you are their servant! LOL!

Sandra said...

HA! Val, yes, I have come to realize my whole reason for existing is to meet their wants. Not just their needs, but whatever they may want. Whenever they want it!

Peace Thyme said...

Yes you are definitely a cat lady!
We started the ultra cold weather in Colorado and then sent it your way. It's gonna last a few days.

Boud said...

I love the cat bios you provide! It's their feline resume. I wonder how they'd write it.

Val Ewing said...

Boud! What a great imaginative idea!

Sandra said...

It seems I am, Peace Thyme! Yes, the cold weather is her for a couple of days. Hopefully it's exited Colorado.

Sandra said...

Boud, I could help write about the four born here, as I know most of it, except where Jiggs would disappear to and what happened the last time when she came home with a useless front leg! Murphy and Gatto, there is mystery there. I have had lots of cats, either passing through or living in the barn. I learned the hard way to get them altered as soon as possible!

Sandra said...

Val, she's got imagination in spades!

Anonymous said...

You are the best kind of cat lady, one with a heart.
What kind of person could have just thrown Gatto away? What kind of people throw any animal away.
I had four cats at one time. All "strays" who found me. They all brought me joy.
Take Care,
Kaye

Sandra said...

Kaye, many of the stray find shelter in the hay loft. There is an opening in the door for cats to get in. If they make it here they have a safe, warm place to rest. Several over the years have stayed on. They get altered if they do. Good on you taking on the discarded ones.