Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Sunday, January 8, 2023

Hay. Snow. Soup.

Someone needs his beard trimmed. Is that the face of an accountant? Lately he's been more of a stablehand.
It does help keep his face warm.


Equines with fresh bales of hay. Instead of that home in the South of France, I have hay burners.


 This is a winter scene if ever there was one. 

I had said in comments that I would do a quick recap of our medical issues for those who don't know. I do bring it up enough! Mark was diagnosed with melanoma last summer and had two areas on his left arm excised, one very large. That, for the moment, is not a problem. He was then diagnosed with prostate cancer in October of 2022. He has started radiation this month for treatment of the cancer. It will go on for six weeks. I have been in a deteriorating condition for three years. I realize it started four years ago, but it wasn't enough to get my attention. I finally got some notice from my primary after collapsing on the back deck like a faint, but not a faint. I did not lose consciousness, I just collapsed, falling face down, breaking my nose. That's when I finally got a medical referral. Of course, appointments are out several months. I could get an in-person at the end of April or a video January 19. I took the video. I won't go into more detail, but I am not in functioning shape. Oh, and Mark knows I bring up his condition and is fine with that.

I did make caraway rye bread yesterday and it turned out very well. Have any of you used a clay pot cooker? I was given one in the early '80s and really didn't know what to do with it. Several years ago a friend told me how to use it and I have found it great for pork roasts. I made a six pound roast for dinner yesterday using it and it turned out moist. Pork roasts are notoriously known for being dry. Some of the roast will end up in lentil soup today. 

It's currently 4 F and heading into double digits. We will be around 30 F for the rest of the week. A nice break from usual January weather. No significant snow in the forecast, so no need to worry about trucks getting stuck! Remember the Rocky and Bullwinkle show? Frostbite Falls? That was based on International Falls, commonly known as "the icebox of the nation". Fortunately, I live in the balmy southern portion of the state!

I think I'll go make that soup for lunch. Pork and lentil soup, fresh rye bread, I don't think I could ask for more.

24 comments:

Boud said...

It's kind to let people know the outlines of what you're dealing with -- saves their putting their foot in it.

That food sounds terrific, despite the health of the cook.

Sandra said...

Boud, that's a good point.

Lunch was good. I have enough for several more meals. We may become tired of lentils!

marlane said...

Thank you for clarifying the medical issues and wishing you the very best !!! That snow is awesome but I don't live in it LOL That looks like a lot of horses. Have you had some or all or ? since they were foals. Sorry I am curious and new as u know.

Sandra said...

marlane, winter can be hard!

I was a horse breeder. I still have 14 horses all middling old to old. The youngest is 17, the oldest 28. They were all born here. Some old broodmares, a 22 year old stallion, his former stallion brother, 26 and some I kept for myself on purpose and some that I just didn't get around to selling. They do nothing but eat now. Sort of like me! Ask questions, I am happy to answer.

Peace Thyme said...

My daughter who lives in Rochester is so jealous of those who got sooooo much snow this last week in Minnesota She loves the winter there. The pic of your horses in the snow is beautiful. Take care and enjoy the rye bread....my mother used to make the best....

Lori Skoog said...

That Mark is one very special guy! You sure do have plenty of snow and I'm so glad your temperature is going up for a few days. We will continue to be around freezing for the next week. Do your stallion and his brother get turned out together now? I can't imagine all the work you two have done over the years. Not too many more days before you will be able to at least communicate with your doctor. It seems that many people have to give up and go to an emergency room to get attention. Hope you get some answers. Ummmmm. The pork roast sounds so good.

marlane said...

Thanks for answering my question If you see this my next one is what breed are they? What bloodlines? I don't know if you noticed my other blog but I am a pedigree researcher LOL

Val Ewing said...

I hope the video appointment goes well. They are hard sometimes to do and get a point across. I always sit with hubby for his appointments as we've done that for years. Now a days, he has trouble communicating and finding words so I am his translator at times.
I will ask this. Are you able to make a list of questions you want specifically answered? Hard to if you don't really don't have a diagnosis.

I like face to face but not if you have to wait months for it. I know the VA social workers had hubby get up, walk to the other side of the room and come back to evaluate how he moved...things like that are so much better in person.

Okay.
Hope you have a great evening.
I'm still catching up from my wild weekend.
")

Sandra said...

Peace Thyme, Rochester is a beautiful part of the state. When we were in St. Paul we often took Sunday drives down there. They got rain instead of snow I think.

I like rye bread!

Sandra said...

Lori, Mark is a good man, but Gary would do the same. It comes down to being a decent person.

Zing is out alone. Not because I worry about him being aggressive, but that he may be hurt. He was an orphan and doesn't have the best horse social skills.

I am counting down the days till I see the dr. The pork roast was really good.

Sandra said...

marlane, they are Arabians. I also had a Saddlebred stallion and two Lipizzaner/Arab crosses sired by my dressage trainers stallion. One of those is still alive. They are Gainey, Polish for the most part. Zing, the stallion is half Egyptian.

I didn't't notice, but I will look!

Sandra said...

Val, I will have a list. I will keep my irritation in check. I would rather be in the office, but the end of April seems very far away. I know you have more experience in this than anyone should have.

The Happy Whisk said...

I love that you talk with Mark first and that you guys are okay with telling the story. Very sorry for this and all you guys are going through. And you broke your nose too. Ouch.

A clay pot cooker? No, I don’t have one. Sounds neat though.

We had fresh spelt rolls tonight too. Something great about fresh homemade bread.

Pixie said...

You call them hay burners, I call them shit producers. When I buy dog food I always joke with the girls at the pet store that I'm just buying pre poop. At least horse shit is good fertilizer once it's composted.

Val Ewing said...

Sandy...yes, nearly 30 years of being an advocate. It is a very hard thing to do, negotiating the medical field. IT should not be that way.
Too many women get their medical issues poo-pooed and I don't think that is fair at all.

Sandra said...

Ivy, yes, I initially thought I hadn't broke my nose, but I did.

Spelt is a favorite of mine. I have only made loaves, not rolls. Now I have something new to think about!

Sandra said...

Pixie, you made me laugh! I used to tell people I was a Ph.D in poopology.

Sandra said...

Val, 30 years, OMG. I have always known we get different treatment but what has been happening to me has been an eyeopener. Gender of the doc doesn't seem to matter, they are still part of the patriarchy.

e said...

I hope all goes well with your appointment and that you don't end up on a medical merry-go-round in an attempt to get a diagnosis. Meantime, enjoy your day and the latest soup and bread.

Sandra said...

Thanks, e. I told the primary last month I want off the hamster wheel. We will have more soup today. I gave myself the name Soup Goddess years ago. I rather like being a goddess!

The Happy Whisk said...

Same, spelt. Makes great pretzels, rolls, scones, pizza, rounds, flabread. My go-to flour of all flours.

Sandra said...

I'll need to make a pizza crust with it, Ivy.

marlane said...

I am looking for the pedigrees they have not shown up in junk or regular email. I will look again later today. We have a major rain storm here.Thanks so much for doing that.

The Happy Whisk said...

It's so fun to make pizza crust and often I'll have extra dough in the fridge just for a quick pizza roll or pizza. Happy Baking and Happy Birthday. Cheers, Ivy.