Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, January 7, 2023

Sparkly

It was just above freezing Thursday so we had some melting. Then we went below zero. It's -7 F at the moment. The melt/freeze gave us icicles.

Bill's brother, Jim, is here with his big tractor putting round bales into the paddocks for the horses. This needs to be done every couple of weeks. He gets to use my now unused indoor arena as a machine shed in return. Works out for both of us. 


Gatto Report






He moved in like he owned the joint. He is so relaxed about everything. Frieda decided she didn't like him and now she's reconsidering, as long as he knows what's what. She has played with him a couple of times. He isn't sure about that. She can be crabby.

I plan (ha! we know how that usually works out) to make rye bread today and if my body can take it,  an apple galette. I bought apples awhile ago for that and I need to get to it before they spoil. I've got my birthday duck thawing. I usually make a yellow cake with boiled chocolate frosting for my birthday but I don't see that happening. I have a video appointment with a neurologist on the nineteenth. Hopefully I get somewhere with this. It's been three years, I think that''s long enough for proper ignoring. Time to try.

It's a cold, sunny, pretty day. A perfect day to have the oven on. Stay warm.

20 comments:

Boud said...

Icicles are beautiful and I'm careful not to walk under them! They're heavy and pointy. It sounds like great food is under way chez S today.

Pixie said...

Your winter photos are beautiful, as is the new cat.

Happy birthday!

Ami said...

Happy birthday! Yeah, three years is long enough to be ignored. I have developed a deep hatred for the medical establishment for so many reasons.

The photos are beautiful.

Sandra said...

Boud, Mark hit himself on the head with one of the icicles! I'm going to make a pork butt roast for dinner tonight. Have't got to the bread yet.

Sandra said...

Pixie, Gatto is a pretty boy. For all it's troubles winter can be beautiful.

My birthday is coming up on Tuesday.

Sandra said...

Ami, my birthday is Tuesday. I guess I like to bring it up!

I've had a terrible time, I've been so dismissed. I have steadily declined to the point I am housebound. Not one thing has been looked into since my initial appointment when I was checked for spinal stenosis and heart disease. I had neither. It all stopped, other than I was referred to pain management and told to take acetaminophen. That was helpful. :( The 18th I hope will produce some action.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Sounds like a baking kind of day! My son in law is making wild rice soup bread bowls...should be good. I get a day off of cooking:) You should celebrate all month!

Lori Skoog said...

You sure live in an arctic area with those temperatures. We will be above freezing for the next week to ten days with just a couple nights below 32. I'll take it. Nice that you have someone to help with those round bales. Our ponies have access to the indoor every day, but they don't go in there very much. Sounds like your birthday plan is in gear....I hope it's a very special day for you. Don't give up on getting some serious help from your doctors.

The Happy Whisk said...

That's great that Frieda is super chill. Here's to them playing more. Ohhh, rye bread. Yum! Happy Birthday! Cheers, Ivy.

marlane said...

As a new reader I am not up to date with the health problems that you and your husband have. I am so sorry. I need to read your earlier blogs.

e said...

Good luck with the neurologist, and I hope the birthday dinner is lovely.

Sandra said...

Far Side, I LOVE wild rice soup! I think I will celebrate all month! Why not?

Sandra said...

Lori, MN is the icebox of the lower 48. And, we've gotten warmer! Yes, we get bales moved and Jim gets extra storage space, good for us both. Horses aren't as bothered by weather as we think they should be!

Sandra said...

Ivy, Frieda was also a stry kitten who came to the door and asked to come in. She's known as Brat Cat.
Caraway rye, it is Yum!

Sandra said...

Marlane, I'll do a quick recap in a new post.

Sandra said...

e, I expect to be seen. This has been nuts. Duck and asparagus, It will be good.

The Happy Whisk said...

Caraway seeds! Yum. I opened mine today. Need to get more. Actually, I have to go through all my herbs and spices. Give it a good clean out and refresh.

Sandra said...

I'm too lazy to go through all that stuff, Ivy!

The Happy Whisk said...

lolololol

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I have been a bit late in bleg reading, Sandra, and see that winter is in full beauty there, sadly only rain here and all last week. It did sound like a perfect day to have the oven on. You birthday dinner sounds delicious just reading about it.