Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Snow and Stuff

I have posted sixty-year-old photos, forty years, up to about five years ago. This is the current version of me. You can tell I'm of the elder generation in that I never learned how to properly take a selfie. I must use a mirror. I blame it on my short arms, I just can't get anything remotely usable. Thirty years of living on the farm rid me of makeup. I'm losing my hair, I got little reaction from the doctor when I told her it's coming out by the handful. I cut about ten inches off two weeks ago. I had thick hair, not anymore. So, here I am, thinning hair, broken nose and plump! I've never been particularly self-conscious, but losing hair is not something I feel like shrugging my shoulder over.


'Nuff about that. Mark has gone to the clinic for his first radiation treatment. We are in for some weather but it has kindly held off, although tomorrow will be a different picture. At least it's moderate in temperature, mid 20s F.

I have an appointment 2/14 to neuter Gatto. Happy Valentine's, bubby! This was my father's birthday, he would be one hundred. Yikes!

Mark apologized to me last night for the fact I need to make my own birthday dinner and it feels wrong he should be the one looking forward to it! It's my choice, I'm not interested in going out. He'll stop at the grocery store one day next week after a session to pick up a duck. He asked if we could have duck on my birthday. Mark and food!

That's the story from Minnesota today. Stay tuned, there's always more excitement coming.

22 comments:

Boud said...

You look stunningly young to this observer. Duck! Sounds like a good birthday dinner, if you don't mind cooking it. I hope the radiation goes okay for Mark, such a way to start the new year.

Sandra said...

Boud, I am in the decade behind you. I only hope I look as good as you do when I reach your decade. I tell myself the weight keeps my face plumped out!

Duck isn't all that difficult and then I get duck fat for roasting potatoes. Yum!

Val Ewing said...

I am with Boud, you are really quite beautiful! Or you really clean up good!
;)

Hopefully your concerns get addressed.

My face is utterly weathered and lined hubby once said I should look into spackle as a make up. Hah!

I hope the weather keeps holding off.
I've never made duck.

Ami said...

I think you look fine.
But everyone knows the secret to a good selfie is DUCK LIPS!
Maybe you should save the lips from your birthday duck. :)

That's all the advice I have for you today. Sure hope it helps.

Sandra said...

Maybe I clean up good, Val! You husband and mine are a real pair. :)

Duck isn't hard to make, it just takes a little know-how. Piercing the skin to release the fat is important.

Sandra said...

Ami, you gave me a laugh!

Lori Skoog said...

I love this photo and am so glad that I now have a picture of the person who is a great cook, photographe, superb writer and lover of animals . Wishing you a very Happy Birthday that includes a delicious dinner.

marlane said...

What a beautiful photo !! Thank you for taking it. Happy Birthday.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You look lovely. You have nice full lips. That sounds weird, does it not? It is just many women seem to get thin lips as they age. I think I better quit..Happy Birthday! Publish or not..I do not want to be considered weird..
Take Care,
Kaye

Far Side of Fifty said...

Happy Birthday! You are brave to take selfies! You are looking good, I don't do makeup either anymore....too much trouble and my skin likes breathing instead of being all gunked up:) Hope that Mark's treatment goes well and that the worst of the storm misses you.

Sandra said...

Lori, you flatter me! I do not take good photos but I got over it a long time ago. My birthday is the 10th.

Sandra said...

Thank you, Marlane. ❤️

Sandra said...

Kaye, 😄. How one has full lips when aged is to start out with even fuller lips when one is young! You didn’t sound weird. And thanks!

Sandra said...

Far Side, when you life is spent in a barn makeup becomes something never thought about. Now, I don’t care. My birthday is a week away. Mark is thinking ahead! Today went well for him.

Pixie said...

You look damned good and it's so nice to meet you. Even though your hair is falling out, it still looks lovely.

Sandra said...

Thank you, Pixie. It won't be long before it's all cut off. I can see my scalp. I think it's a good thing to see those faces behind the keyboard.

Anonymous said...

37paddington:
Lovely to see your face. Aging is seriously traumatizing, or do I am finding. My hair is thinning too, very unsettling, the lines around eyes and moth are coming in deep and dear god I totally get why Joan Didion titled one her later books “I Hate My Neck.” That said you look great to me. Your haircut is attractive and your appearance vibrant. But have you checked on your thyroid? Could that be the culprit of the thinning hair? I am sending all good thoughts to Mark for his treatments. Holding you both in love.

Sandra said...

I've read Joan Didion's books! I was on thyroid meds until my dr retired. I have been unable to get them since because testing says I don't need it. I'm a poster child for hypothyroidism but symptoms are ignored, only test results matter. the Primary told me end won't see me based on test results. So I'm referred to neurology. I'm a damned ping-pong ball.

Thank for for your kindness and consideration. We have great confidence Mark will be all good.

e said...

You look lovely! Good luck with the duck.

Sandra said...

Awww, thanks. Mark will pick the duck up tomorrow after radiation.

The Happy Whisk said...

I find you to be beautiful!!!!

I've done that with my hair, chopped a bunch off before. Also had problems with it falling out. That's when I was real sick. Hair after hair fell out.

You're dad would have been 100. Wow, wow. Sorry he's gone. Lost Mom recently.

Making your own birthday dinner and having it at home, to me, sounds wonderful. I love that kind of stuff.

Happy Birthday! Cheers, Ivy.

Sandra said...

Ivy, I'm at the point where I'm going to cut it all off. It's now just some grey strings on my head.

Yes, 100 if her were alive. He was not in good shape the last 8-10 years of his life.

I cannot justify the cost of easting out. I'd rather stay home and do it myself!