Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Friday, January 13, 2023

Bones. Bits. Coffee.

I received a gift yesterday from my son and his wife for my birthday.


I have an insulated stainless steel pot that I've had for most of Matthew's life. I prefer pour-over coffee. Matthew told me he thought maybe I  could use something a bit more 'cool' so he sent me this, along with some coffee and !nine! bars of various dark chocolate. This was a pleasant surprise.



I made stock with the duck bones and vegetable bits. 




I made a six pound pork roast a few days ago. Even with the bone, that's a lot. I used some of it in this improvised version of mac & cheese. Gruyere and Parmesan. The rest of the roast went into the freezer.  Mark called from the clinic. He wanted to inform me he is picking up the winning lottery ticket on his way home. Good man!

I believe it will be pizza tonight, so dough making needs to happen Maybe some bread dough, too. Oh! I fixed the toaster, I'm turning into a regular fixit. The lever wouldn't stay down, I watched a YouTube video....I got it to work. Yay, me! A dishwasher and now a toaster. I missed my calling.


13 comments:

Boud said...

That's high end Mac n cheese! And good for you for fixing the appliances. It's a great feeling that you're very capable. I bless YouTube, one of the great inventions.

Sandra said...

Maybe the cheese but it isn’t so high end otherwise. Made on the stovetop with milk! It is good, though. YouTube showed me how to fix the dishwasher, too.

The Happy Whisk said...

Something more cool. That's a hoot. Happy Birthday. Very fun gift. I don't have a coffee maker, it's all pour over or simmer and then pour the water away from the grounds. Once I pressure cooked coffee, just to play. Never again. Whew, tasted and smelled like tires.

Love that you're making dough! Me too. I have rye dough fermenting as I type!

How great is YouTube for helping us fix things? I love that. Go you! Go you!

Cheers & Happy Birthday, Ivy.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yeah for repairing your own stuff! What a nice birthday gift from your son!

Ami said...

Never was able to like the taste of coffee. I tried more than once.

Repair stuff? Hahaha... not me!!!

Sandra said...

It is a hoot, Ivy!
I would never have thought of making coffee in a pressure cooker. Now I know not to .

YouTube is very helpful, it has saved me money.

I am a dough maker. I like to bake but keep it mainly to bread and pizza dough. I don't need the calories from baked goods, although I would like them!

Sandra said...

Far Side, it is a nice gift. The Trader Joe's chocolate bars are appreciated!

Sandra said...

Ami, Mark doesn't like coffee, either. I did turn him into a tea drinker, though.

YouTube saved me money on a dishwasher and now a toaster. I can handle disassemble and reassemble. Nothing where there is current involved!

Lori Skoog said...

You hit the jackpot with your gifts and beautiful photographs of your latest meals. Now I m very hungry for some Mac and cheese. And who doesn't like chocolate?

Sandra said...

Lori, this was one of the best birthdays I’ve had. I didn’t want to cook. I had pork I needed to use, so I made a quick version of Mac and cheese. Quick, easy and good. Not a bad combination! I put the duck stock in the freezer.

Val Ewing said...

You sure are a fixer upper lady! I get excited when I can start the skid steer and fix little things.

That coffee pot is awesome. I have a press I like to use.

Sandra said...

I was either born the wrong gender or in the wrong time, Val!

e said...

That was a great gift from your son and his wife. Good job on the appliances!