Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Monday, January 9, 2023

Monday



This is a Romertopf, what I call a clay cooker. The pot I was given is stamped Made in East Germany, so it's been around awhile.



Once I learned how to use it, it became a valued essential. The whole pot needs to be soaked in water for at least thirty minutes. It goes into a cold oven which is the set to 400-425 F and is in the oven, in the case of my pork roast, four hours. I put onions and about a cup of white wine in with the roast.



I made lentils and pork for lunch yesterday. It will be lunch again today. I made a lot. We had a slice of the caraway rye with it. A perfect combination. It turns out son's wife really likes my fermented pickles so I have someone to give part of the huge stash I have, thanks to Bill loading me up with pickling dills over the summer. We like them, too, but about twenty quarts is kind of a lot.

It was 3 F this morning but it's going to reach 31 F. The weather will be moderate all week. A pleasant break in our generally coldest month. Mark has been removing snow from the roof, both from the ground and on the roof. I don't like it, but it has to be done and he's going to do it. He got half done yesterday and plans to finish today. He's rather pleased he can still do these things. I worry he's going to fall. He came home twenty minutes ago from radiation and is outside taking snow from the roof. He hasn't found out he's getting to be an old man yet. If I'm honest, I'm glad, even though I don't like the risks he will take. 

I, on the other hand, am keeping my feet firmly planted on the ground, doing my Monday task of laundry. Woo-hoo. We took the laundry out of the basement twenty years ago and it's a really good thing we did, considering the state of my mobility. That would be another task loaded onto Mark's shoulders. Anyway....I'm caffeinated and ready, if not to rock, then at least to roll into my day. Ciao.

18 comments:

Boud said...

I'm wondering if that's also a tandoor? I think that's a clay container in which tandoori chicken is baked.Anyway it looks like a great pot.

I hear you about Mark on the roof, oo-er. Let us know when he's safely finished and down again. I'm guessing he's pushing it while he can.

Sandra said...

Boud, I had to look tandoor up. It seems it's a cylindrical oven. This is a clay pot.

Mark is exceptionally lucky. I know he has prostate cancer, but he is in excellent physical condition as far as strength and stamina go. He's slowed down some, but not much. I feel very old next to him!

Boud said...

I think the traditional tandoor, described to me by an old Indian man, was a clay container you soaked then put in the meat, usually chicken, in the ground over a fire, like your clay cooker. I looked up modern ones and they seem different.

I think cooking in clay gives a lovely moist result. I've cooked chicken breasts wrapped in foil then in clay I've made, a lot of fuss but good results. And your guests break into the clay to extract their chicken. It's fun.

Sandra said...

Ah, ha. That makes sense, I've seen that on tv programs. What a life you've had, cooking in clay and having guests break it open. The most I've done is make crab people had to break open!!

marlane said...

To get back to your horses. Gainey bred is from Ferzon I am remembering which was crabbet ? Is your stallion on the all breed database so that I can look.

Sandra said...

Marlane, he is not. If your email is on your blog I will send you a photo of his pedigree.

marlane said...

Sandra Thank you I would love to see his pedigree Yes my email is on my blog below my bio.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Interesting clay cooker! Men on the roof...at least if they fall the snow is soft...the wind blows so much here that it is not a problem and at home we have a steel roof so it slides;0

Pixie said...

I used to have a pot like that but gave up on it. Your meal looks nice though.

What is life without risks though? Jail?

Val Ewing said...

Ahhhh, cooking. Such a mystery. But I am trying!

Sandra said...

Far Side, I've had it over 40 years and had no idea how to use it. A friend from The Range told what to do. Now I like it.

Sandra said...

Pixie 😂😂

Sandra said...

Val, hiking through wilderness and exploring ice caves, a mystery. And I'm NOT trying!!

Sandra said...

Marlane, pedigrees sent

The Happy Whisk said...

I never used a real clay pot though I would, it looks like great fun!

Sandra said...

It works well, especially with pork roast, Ivy.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I looked up the Romertopf clay pot after reading this post, Sandra, and it certainly looks like a wonderful cooking vessel. My only concern would be that it subject to breakage if not stored and used carefully. I enjoy using a cast iron dutch oven, but it is very heavy. The lentils, pork and homemade bread looked like a delicious meal.

Sandra said...

Beatrice, it's over 40 years old, although I rarely used it until the last dozen years. It's sturdy material.