Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Thursday, January 5, 2023

Stuck Truck

What has been happening over the past hour.


I buy bedding for the stalls in bulk. I had postponed yesterday's delivery to today so we could plow. The driver slid to the side of the driveway that slopes. Stuck. Bill's nephew lives down the hill from us and owns an excavating business. He is here right now working on getting the truck unstuck. Mark was just leaving for his radiation when this happened, he postponed it to later today. The horses aren't out yet, that will be a rodeo! Yep, the joys of country living.

Okay, forty-five minutes later from when I started writing this, the truck unloaded the bedding and has pulled out. I am so happy to know Bill and his family. Someone(s) deserves a fruit basket. It's been a long time since anyone has been stuck.

Back to the mundane. I made stock yesterday with a ham bone. I have a pot of sausage and garbanzo bean soup simmering. Mark will need something hot when he finally gets inside. He's getting snow cleared from in front of the barn so he can get the horses out. It's almost 11:00 and they are still in the barn. Yes, we had a lot of snow and it's heavy and packed. It is beautiful. I don't think Mark is seeing any beauty at the moment. It is frustrating that I cannot help. 

16 comments:

Boud said...

Glad the situation was sorted quickly. And about helping -- being out working in the stables knowing you're coming in to a great bowl of homemade soup, I'd say that's helping.

Ami said...

That's a whole lotta snow.
Also it's a great photo.
Happy soup day, I'm craving a big pot of lentil or split pea. Maybe this weekend.

Sandra said...

Boud, it too a couple of hours but in the end it worked out. I told Mark what you said about the soup and he agreed with you!

Sandra said...

Ami, it is a lotta snow. Mark said the snow was past his knee where the rear tire slid. I couldn't see what I was doing when I took the photo, the light was so bright. I was surprised by hour well it turned out! I've got enough stock for another pot of soup, likely to be lentils. I hope you get your soup.

e said...

Soup sounds wonderful, Damp, dark and rainy here today. Glad you got the delivery and the truck unstuck.

Lori Skoog said...

I have appreciated every single day without snow and I hope it does not come our way. Normally our driveway would look just like yours at this time. So fortunate that the truck could be unloaded and was able to get out of the driveway. Mark sure is a great guy, doing so much on behalf of the horses.

marlane said...

Wow and I feel annoyed by rain and mud. That puts things in perspective for me. We have had heavy rain, which thankfully let up long enough to get all four horses out into turnout.

Far Side of Fifty said...

You are catching up with us on the snow totals! Glad the truck got unstuck. Hope your electricity stays on...heavy snow and tree branches:(

Val Ewing said...

Glad the truck was unstuck! We couldn't get out for the past two days because of an ice coated driveway. However it snowed and the wet ice absorbed the snow and we are in business again, thankfully.

My neighbor plowed last night with his little 4 wheeler.

No kidding! Thank goodness for good neighbors!

Sandra said...

e, me, too! Soup was good.

Sandra said...

Lori, if we don't have snow a lot of plant life dies. We can get really cold and snow is an insulator. I look at your pasture and am always surprised it's green! Mark grew up on a dairy farm, he knows how to work!

Sandra said...

Marlane, We have heavy black clay soil, so I really don't like mud! CA needs rain, glad you got it.

Sandra said...

Far Side, I don't think we've caught up yet! We had a generator wired into our house years ago. Being without power when you have a well and livestock is really bad. That said, I still rather the power stay on.

Sandra said...

Val, your driveway looks like a long street! Good neighbors are needed and so welcome.

The Happy Whisk said...

I love that he was able to help out. That's the best. Fruit basket for sure. Soup sounds good! Love that you had it ready for him. Love, love, love that. Cheers, Ivy.

Sandra said...

Ivy, we became Bill's project a couple of decades ago. With that came Bill's large extended family. Without Bill we would be in trouble!

Mark is doing work I normally do, the least I can give him is hot soup! He has decided he likes soup and it is food.