Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Monday, January 23, 2023

Why Not?


I spent two hours of my morning mindlessly watching a Randolph Scott western on Grit TV. It seems it's Randy's birthday today and he is featured all day. The question is, what has happened to my life?

So, at 11:00 central time I got away from the tv and started the laundry. Again, what has happened to my life? I guess I shouldn't complain, but what the heck, it's a Monday and why not? In reality, if the pain were removed it would be a rather good life, having the luxury of frittering away two hours watching an old western, nothing tugging at me, nothing needing doing that cannot wait. Ok, never mind!

It had been foggy yesterday and then went into the low single digits overnight, giving us beautiful hoar frost this morning. That is a silver lining accompanying the cold. We are in for a couple of weeks of cold temperatures if the extended forecast is correct. It's been an easy winter, for the most part. No complaints. 


Winter is often beautiful. It's also brutal at times. It's easy for me to romanticize winter since I don't spend much time in it anymore. But, truthfully, I like winter. The horses are fine during winter, it's the summer heat and humidity that is hard on them. They grow thick coats, plant their muzzles in hay, back to any wind and eat. All day. 

Let us all put our backs to the wind, enjoy the moment, but leave the hay to the horses. Well, make hay if you are able!

12 comments:

Boud said...

I'm always surprised to see horses, cows, sheep, goats, chowing down on hay. It seems so uninteresting. But they love it and need it. Can't help wondering if they'd like maybe ketchup?

Sandra said...

Boud, I think they'd pass on the ketchup but they wouldn't turn down a peppermint!

Pixie said...

I was set to go for a nice long walk this afternoon, went outside and overnight, everything had frozen, the world is covered in ice. Ice scares the crap out of me now. I'll walk tomorrow.

Val Ewing said...

My mules were happy this morning too and the drive to town was gorgeous in the fog and frost. Coming back the world was a wonderland.

This evening the critters are down in the woods munching hay out of the wind.
LOL on the ketchup. My mules love squash though!

Sandra said...

Pixie, ice scares the crap out of me, too. Especially where the horses are concerned.

Sandra said...

It was pretty yesterday, Val. I've never given them squash but the do like peppermint and I had a boarded horse that loved fig newtons. His owner fed them to him.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Stay warm, we too are headed into the deep freeze. Winter in Minnesota is an adventure, it rained here today:(

Bohemian said...

What has happened to our lives indeed? I shouldn't complain either, yet, sometimes I still do. Overall it is a good life... even with an undecorated Christmas Tree still sitting in my Main Living Area waiting to be boxed back up... and random stuff... plus people... strewn around the house... the disarray doesn't really disturb me as much as... well... it used to. I don't Romanticize Winter, but I sure do with Autumn, which is my Favorite Season.

Sandra said...

Far Side, I'm surprised you got rain way up there! It's going to be cold for awhile, bundle up.

Sandra said...

I have decided a sign of maturity is accepting things as they are at the time, Dawn. So I'm about half way to mature! I still have the little Christmas tree sitting in the living room.

We don't get much of an Autumn, generally. When we do, I LOVE it.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

There's nothing "wrong" with winter to my thinking, Sandra, and I agree that it can be beautiful especially after a freshly fallen snow of which we have experienced several bouts in recent days. I enjoy being outdoors, but when the snow melts and re-freezes to form icy walkways, I am better staying indoors.

Sandra said...

So am I, Beatrice. The melt/freeze cycle is miserable. We've been having snowfall today.