Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Not All Forms Fit the Mold

Mark's office for the past seventeen years.
Yes, he is a tidy man.


He left his firm after it was acquired by a regional firm based in Wisconsin. They had a completely different corporate culture which was not in alignment with his own. So, he packed up his large client base and became a sole practitioner. 

Over these years his clients aged, as did Mark. They sold their business, in some instances they died. It says a lot about Mark that he retained clients throughout his long career. Those remaining go back with him over forty-five years.

I was prompted to write this by a question I am asked; when is he going to retire. He is semi-retired and spends much of his day doing what had been my work. He likes it. He grew up on a dairy farm and likes animals and physical work. He is also a man of intelligence and well-honed skill. He enjoys what he is doing, his work of his long career and his work with what were my horses, now our horses. 

There seems to be a box one is supposed to go into after a certain age. What if you have no interest in that box? There is no interest in living in a condo. Nor going to Florida or Arizona for the winter, god help me. I have thought about living in Grand Marais, which is far northern Minnesota! I guess that explains the "no thanks" to Florida and Arizona.

Preconceived notions. 

Well, then. It's a cool, partly cloudy day. At the moment this old thing has a little energy and may actually do something productive with it. The aforementioned old man has taken Keetah for a long walk, turned fourteen horses out to pasture, fed Keetah, fed himself, cleaned the barn and now retreated to his office. I think he's got this.

9 comments:

Boud said...

He sounds as if he's definitely got this. I think people who long to retire may be people who don't like their jobs. He has an ideal balance of physical and desk work, great for staying healthy. Speaking of which I hope your own health improves and your mobility, too. Now's the weather to get outside.

Sandra said...

He does. He also went to town, brought food home from the deli and has taken Keetah out again. He has the perfect match, using his mind, interacting with clients and working on the farm. I felt bad about his needing to do my work. He said I shouldn't. He likes it, he likes he knows the horses in a far different way. I will keep him, he's got no choice with me, the warranty has run out!
It is my favorite weather. I have tomatoes to pick.

Val Ewing said...

Physical work is so good!

Wow, what an office! I wish I had my own office, but I told hubby I wanted to have a Woman Cave ... so to speak. Maybe one day. A place where I can have my privacy and do my creative stuff without sitting at the table we eat.

Checking that box. I'd like to go back to assisting teachers, working with kids, teaching photography.

Oh. And I'd like to get back to 4H and teaching kids about equine.

Great post. Thank you. You've given me good ideas for my own thoughts.

Sandra said...

Val, physical work is good. I've been told my muscle and strength are still good after a year of limited mobility because I spent so many years in physical work.

I need to find something to do, I have such limited interaction and that is also important to well-being. Mark has a large family and his business to keep him in sync with humans.

I bet you could get back to any of these, especially assisting teachers, they need all the help they can get.

Sandra said...

Val, we both have an office, which means we haven't got a spare bedroom! I ran the farm for a couple of decades and needed my own space, like you mentioned. I don't need it anymore, but I don't need the bedroom, either. My Mac needs a home. :)

Lori Skoog said...

Mark is a keeper. Are you feeling well enough to go to the barn? I can't imagine cleaning 14 stalls every day, but I would do it! We don't have offices, but we have a library and share one computer (although I also have a Mac Air and an iPad for my music). Being semi retired sounds like the perfect match for Mark. I have been retired since 1999 and have loved every single second. After today, we may be in the 60s for the next week and it may last longer. Fine with me. I know I have said it before, but I can't tell you how much I enjoy your writing!!!!!

Sandra said...

Lori, he is! Right now I can't imagine cleaning the stall, either! Mark has a lot of nervous energy, which is helpful when it comes to picking up my work. We have a single story house with 3 bedrooms, 2 are the offices. Mark and I share a life but not an office or a computer. Or a bathroom!! Mark has a small group of clients, he doesn't add anymore. He'll continue until they are gone or he can't do it anymore. Somebody has to pay for hay! I think of myself as a rambler of words.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Nice office! Looks like he is very organized! Grand Marais is a nice place to retire other than summer tourists:)

Sandra said...

He is very organized, Far Side. I think it's his mathematical brain. I would like to live in Grand Marais, I probably won't but it's a thought.