Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Monday, September 5, 2022

If It's Monday....


...it's laundry. Such a life. A man I almost married used to say "such is life without a wife". He found one. I decided it wouldn't be me.


This will become roasted eggplant soup. It's a cloudy day, 73 F, so my mind went to roasting some of the vegetables for soup. I made and froze stock a week ago, I don't know if I'll make the soup now or freeze this when its done.


I got a disappointment today. I was on a horse forum during the 2000, it was local and I met a lot of people in person through it. There was a political forum on there which was quite active. The horse world is probably more right leaning in general, although it does depend on the discipline. One person I got to know and who bred a mare to one of my stallions, became a friend. I got an email notification from Facebook that it's her birthday today. I went to FB to wish her happy birthday and saw posts that set me back on my haunches. I never doubted she was more than likely Republican, based on the horse world and where she lived, but she spent a lot of time on the political part of the forum and was a reasonable person. Something happened. Conspiracy theories. Anti-Covid vaccine, talk about being lied to about Covid deaths, Covid not being anything other than a mild flu. The whole gamut, just run down the list. Chastising we idiots for not doing our own research and then putting up links to the extreme fringe. Something profound has happened and it scares me. I became sad, we had been casual friends for several years and I remembered her fondly. The chasm is wide and deep and it seems there isn't a bridge that can span it.

6 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Roasted veggies have such rich flavor. It's cool enough here to put on the oven and I am going to have to roast some too.
It has rained all day and I feel like I was given a sleeping pill. I know what you mean about friends and politics. The same has happened to me. You already know that I am a politico and can't keep my mouth shut. It disappoints me greatly that knowing right from wrong is a thing of the past....along with common sense. There are a lot of gullible people out there who have no clue about what they are supporting. Even with evidence, they refuse to believe what is true.

Sandra said...

Lori, although I may not have understood middle-class people supporting political philosophy that often harmed them economically, I accepted that they did and mostly got along fine. People who know me know I'm politically engaged. Something has happened that turned people with at least more right leanings into rabid beasts. I've always known a small handful of those, but overall, no. Just normal things, like public health, becomes something to resist, become raging angry about and so willing to go into the weeds over. I lost a 20 year friendship when she told me the assault on the Capitol was Hollywood staging. And if there had been something happening there it was BLM and Antifa. I knew she was on the right of center but that hit me between the eyes. She had been a longtime good friend. That was it. She told me I was small minded. It worries me, there's no bridging this schism.

On better news, the veg roasted well. I'm going to roast a zucchini for our side for dinner. We have leftover fried chicken.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I do know people who are Covid Crazy that are not Republicans. I consider myself an Independent leaning toward Republican...I think it all comes down to choices within the party...and some of us are less stupid than others. I have many friends who are Democrats and they are all not perfect either. I can agree to disagree! My parents are Democrats!! :)

Val Ewing said...

I do love the look of those veggies. I dried more tomatoes with seasoning and mixed them with dehydrated mushrooms and carrots for a stew later this year. Yum.

As for the Conspiracy folks? The internet has allowed more disinformation to spread in my opinion more quickly.
The X president normalized hateful rhetoric and this is the 'new' world we live in.

Sandra said...

Far Side, there is not perfect and then there is off the deep end! My husband's family are Republican and they range from far, far right to moderate. Abortion in his Catholic family is what brought his farmer parents into Republican politics. I don't know what happened over the last decade that lead to where we are. I have a couple of theories, but it is still perplexing to me.

Sandra said...

Val, it is so satisfying to know you can prepare food to sustain yourself. I feel almost pioneer!

Decorum is extinct. Civility and reason are, too. One way autocracy takes hold is by getting a significant number of people to distrust any institution. We are there. Another is to create the "other", we are there, as well.