Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Friday, September 30, 2022

Life is Good

I made this ragu for dinner with roasted tomatoes and shredded zucchini from my garden. It simmered in the Dutch oven for six hours.  I love braised food.


I got to play whip cracker yesterday. Mark told me he needed to finish two trust account returns by Friday, that he only had a little left to do but he needed to stick with it. So, he proceeds to come into the kitchen to tell me this or that and I kept shooing him back to his office. Several times. Dude.

I'm beginning to feel better, finally, although I still get some jaw pain. It's been a long week. I did make stock Wednesday and with it chicken soup for Thursday's lunch. I put the remainder of the shredded zucchini in the soup and it was delicious. Other than the ragu, that has been the extent of my doing much of anything. Too late for Mark to return me, my warranty ran out decades ago. 



I bought a smoked pork shank. Next soup on the menu will be potato, leek and ham soup. With plenty of sage. It's really nice weather but even so the feel of autumn is in the air and soup will be had.

It's a busy day ahead, lots to do and I think the only way for me to succeed is to get off my duff and do it. What an amazing and, lately, foreign concept.

8 comments:

Val Ewing said...

Busy for me too! I am making pear/apple sauce and tidying up for my California Nephew and his Wife. I think the cold nights may make it so they may want to sleep in a heated house.

Yum. Ham and leek soup. I need to try that. I'm good at throwing stuff in the crock pot and letting it simmer.

Your meals look enticing.

Sandra said...

Yes, coming from California they will!

You got me dehydrating tomatoes, Val. I had not done it until you talked about it. Now I can't stop! Potatoes, leeks, ham and sage were made for one another. I've got the ham shank simmering with vegetable scrapes and sage. I'll be taking it out, removing the meat and put the bone back in to simmer longer.

I like simple food. I am not interested in the complex anymore at all. Enjoy your company.

Lori Skoog said...

Those two meals look off the charts! Glad you are starting to feel better.

Sandra said...

Thanks, Lori. I’m going to make salsa verde with my green tomatoes instead of tomatillos. I have so many left on the vine. Maybe Sunday. September went fast!

Val Ewing said...

hah! My company is awesome.
I'm going to get a lesson in being a vegetarian while they are here.

She's offered to help prepare meals for them thank goodness!

I hope they can stay a few days!

hah hah on the dehydrated tomatoes. That is how I preserved apples, onions, tomatoes, and even green beans this year!

Sandra said...

Val, vegetarian isn't hard. My son's wife is vegan, that's hard. Mark loves eggplant 'meatballs'!

You did get me into dehydration. I think that's a good thing. ;)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

A ragu is something that I have never done, Sandra, but reading about the slow cooking time in the oven makes me think I should try and find a recipe as tis the season for comfort foods. Admittedly, warm weather is not when cooking is a favorite activity, but fall and winter mean more time indoors and meals that take longer to prepare are welcome.

Sandra said...

Beatrice, ragu is a simple meal to make. My favorite kind!