Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Friday, September 9, 2022

Life in My Lane

The result of drying tomatoes for the entire day yesterday.
Pesto Rosso


I got these two jars and a small plastic container, which is plenty. I'll see as I approach the end of tomatoes if I do more.

We got morning rain with more supposedly on the horizon. It's 58F, a huge change from the prior days of the week. Today is Philly Friday at the deli. Mark picks up a sandwich and we split it. I make creamed cucumbers and it's plenty. Gone are the days of each eating a whole one.

I'm making a beef brisket for dinner. This is always an occasion. I don't really know why, but it is, like it's really special. I guess it is. They are expensive for a tough cut, it takes a long time to cook and then, if done properly, is delicious. After so much experience I don't worry about it being done properly but I may eat my own words.

I am enjoying the preservation process this year. My physical restrictions aren't improved but I'm a bit brighter emotionally. I feel accomplishment, a sense of purpose, growing, storing food to sustain us through a Minnesota winter. The last time I felt I had accomplished much was when I turned the family home into a welcoming place for the young man who bought it. Eight months of labor but the place did shine. Then I crashed. I feel I've dusted myself off and am rejoining the living. Sort of, let's not get carried away.

So....I guess I'll roast some tomatoes, put a bag of vegetables together for Mark to bring the son when they go to the game and finish listening to my book. I see the next one is now available. 

In closing, a new era is beginning in Britain. I see there is a video of Charles, now King Charles, flipping off 45. I think he'll do alright. 

4 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Only 2/10 of an inch of rain up here but it is nice and cool! :)

Sandra said...

I don't know how much but I did rain more overnight. A nice day ahead. I'm sure for you, too.

Pixie said...

It feels good to accomplish things. Done and dusted.

Nursing can be a job that never ends, always something not finished, but at my job, it's very defined and gives me a great sense of accomplishment, especially when I get a tough IV after an hour of trying.

Sandra said...

It's all a job that never ends. Clean the stalls, bring in horses, next day clean the stalls.....I worked at a nursing home and a hospital when I was in college. It is hard work, often not acknowledged work. I have difficult veins and boy do I appreciate a job well done getting a needle in my vein! I'm finishing up the basil today.