Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Thursday, September 22, 2022

Tomatoes Hay Propane

It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway.
Neighbor Bill strikes again.


He stopped by yesterday afternoon with these lovely maters. He said he's been giving (pawning off) on anyone into whose door he can insert a foot! I still have two plants producing wildly but with the temperature change and shorter days that will stop soon.

We will be having many meals with a tomato base over the winter, I have more than usual processed and in the freezer. I believe I will be happy with myself as I'm paying so much more for everything, mostly propane and hay.

Speaking of both.....Mark is unloading hay with Ken, who works for my longtime hay guy. No round bales have come in yet, which makes me a little nervous. It's been a bad year so hay prices are up for more than one reason. Yesterday I decided how much propane I will contract for the season. All of those tomatoes will keep us out of the soup kitchen line.

Ah, well, I just finished a book set during the dust bowl and the California migration. This book brought me back to when I reread The Grapes of Wrath at least a decade ago. Greed and cruelty are eternal. I guess that's why my thoughts went to soup kitchens.

On another note, sort of; my day is planned around tomatoes. I think I'll roast them, the kitchen can use a little warming from the oven. Bread making season is starting. I love making bread, it makes me feel warm and safe for some reason. I received a photo from a friend of a German dessert he made. I couldn't tell what it was, thought maybe similar to a clafoutis, but it is made with yeasted dough. This is a long way around to saying it made me think about making a clafoutis. I have frozen blueberries, so maybe some weekend baking, bread and  dessert. Oh, my!

I think enough of my mind rubble. Off to the tomatoes.


8 comments:

Boud said...

So long since I made a clafoutis. I used to make them in cherry season but it's years since we had cherries locally, cold springs. But now you've got me thinking. It's a lovely hot dessert.

Pixie said...

I'm still making tomato sauce too. Which reminds me, I need to pick up some red peppers. Have a lovely day.

Sandra said...

Boud, it's delicious and surprisingly easy. My friend got me thinking, now I've got you thinking. It's how the world goes round!

Sandra said...

Pixie, our future selves with thank us! It's a cool, crisp day, I think fireplace season is just around the corner.

Val Ewing said...

I had to look that word --clafoutis-- up. Sounds good.

I was thinking of making bread too. Yum.

Oh and I love the expression of 'Mind Rubble' that is perfect. I had a lot of that bouncing around my head last night. I wished I could have turned it off!

Far Side of Fifty said...

We are nearing the end of tomato season here also. We contracted for our propane for the winter and pre paid...so that is done. Groceries are getting more expensive all the time...we may have to make soup to survive:(

Sandra said...

Val, it's one of the easiest desserts you can make!

I think I will bake this weekend. I need to do some kitchen cleanup before I mess it up again. Sometimes it seems all I have is rubble!

Sandra said...

I hear that Far Side. The book I just finished was probably not a good choice right now, got me in that frame of mind. Our preserving helps, there will be things to make soup from.