Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Best Fellow

DLKS KORITHIAN
Shaka
1988-2009



My first Arabian. He was an opinionated fellow; a difficult, talented horse. When I first met him and mounted, he immediately dumped me. Unceremoniously put me in the dirt, butt end first. Now, most people would have walked away from that. I bought him.

He and I spent his years with trainers. It turned out he was a Grand Prix capable horse. He was absolutely bubbling over with athletic talent and mind-your-manners attitude. Any trainer who needed to dominate did not last long with him. 

The year he was working on Prix St. Georges he developed a debilitating condition called carpel meta carpel syndrome. It ended our dressage journey. It had been a heady trip, one we both enjoyed, as long as trainers behaved themselves. 

He had come to love me, so I was allowed to ride him while making mistakes. He was tolerant of my ignorance. I was the only exception to his rule. Prior to our understanding he humbled me regularly. No horse could do that sideways Arabian move better than he could. Now you're in saddle, now you're not, never knowing what happened in-between. I loved him like crazy. I never could be ordered about, it doesn't surprise me I adored a horse with the same traits.

His knee was getting bad enough that I knew he wouldn't be able to make it through winter, but I was having a hard time reconciling myself to what I knew I needed to do. He didn't let me down, good boy, he died Thanksgiving evening, releasing me from the pain of putting him down.

There are things I regret as I look back on my life. Shaka-laka is not one of them. This was one of the most wonderful periods of my life, being owned by him.

12 comments:

Boud said...

I love your horse stories. Such respect and knowledge on both sides!

Sandra said...

Boud, going back to childhood, horses have been a huge part of my life. My life stories are intertwined with theirs. Except my brief encounter with mafioso!

Tabor said...

Lucky you to have had such a privileged relationship.

Sandra said...

Tabor, thank you, yes stumbling across him was an interesting accident. We needed one another.

Val Ewing said...

Horses do demand respect in return for their respect.
Mules do also and they become extremely attached if they decide to like or dislike a human.

I've never done anything like dressage. Wow. That is incredible.

Your stories are inspiring.

Sandra said...

There are breeds, like QH, who are known for taking abuse. Until they don't. Then you are in for a world of hurt. I have said about Arabians that to get along with them you need to be at least as smart as your horse. It seems many humans are not.

I know little of mules, Val, but one thing I have heard is they do not suffer fools. I would like mules.

Dressage, if done properly is a wonderful thing. But, as with most things concerning animals and humans, it mostly is not done properly.

Lori Skoog said...

What a gorgeous boy. Those relationships are so special (in both directions). I am definately a dressage fan in terms of having a very subtle form of communication with your horse, but you are right. Many dressage riders do not have enough patience to bring the horses along in a way that the horses understand the language and they end up cranking and forcing. Many at the highest levels are the worst. Berlin's dam (by Abdullah), according to my instructor/trainer, was capable of being a gran prix horse, but I was not prepared to go in that direction. I spoiled her as long as she lived and had no regrets.

Far Side of Fifty said...

He was a beauty, it sounds like a great love story:) Thanks for sharing:)

Sandra said...

Lori, we trained in the French style. The German, which is the most prevalent, is crank, push and pull style. I had a trainer tell me I should sell Shaka, it wasn't fair to waste his talent. I told her he doesn't care about talent, he likes his cushy life. Berlin didn't care, either!

Sandra said...

Ha, Far Side! I called him the love of my life!

Pixie said...

He was a beautiful horse. My disabled daughter ended up at a place that uses disabled theraputic animals to help them. They let the child chose the animal. My daughter chose a donkey, well matched those two.

Sandra said...

Pixie, thanks. He was. That is a wonderful idea and your daughter picked a perfect animal.