Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Things

They certainly helped!


I realized in the last few years I had spent my life in a state of depression but it was so commonplace I didn't realize it. Not until my brain injury escalated it. It's a good thing it's more acceptable to talk about it, instead of hiding in shame. That's why I stopped my medication, I thought it was a sign of weakness, that I was strong and could shoulder through. It took me awhile, but I got over that nonsense. Odd, I had no intention of this being a topic. I was scrolling through photos, saw this and suddenly it was where I went. Linear thinking.

Today will be a getting things in order day. I placed a pick up order at Aldi, Mark needed to go to town so he said he'd get the groceries. He also said he pick up dinner at Papa Murphy's as long as he was there. Then he said he'd stop at the deli for Taco Tuesday. I don't have to cook a thing today! I made the right choice in this guy!

I've decided to put the roasted vegetables in the food processor and then freeze them. The next few days are going to be uncomfortably hot which doesn't sound like soup to me. I'm going to make more pesto tomorrow and cut and freeze sage. It freezes very well. It's now getting to serious preserving time of year. I am hopeful I won't need to buy any tomato sauce/canned tomatoes this winter, no pesto either. I also process basil in olive oil and freeze it in ice cube trays to add into sauce. Next best thing to fresh! This is more than I have done in about five years, a good sign. 

I guess that's about it from Casa Sandra. May your bounty ripen, your day be hopeful and your life well-lived.

9 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Stay cool ! In the 80's up here. I have not tried happy pills...perhaps I should! :)

Sandra said...

Far Side, if only they were happy pills! They are more like functioning on an almost acceptable level pills.

Lori Skoog said...

I love your version of anti depressants. So far, we have not gotten your heat....please don't send it. So what did you end up having for dinner, thank you Mark. So happy to read that you are doing more and more...such a good sign. In this lifetime, have you been a writer? Your style is something!!!

Val Ewing said...

All anti depressants should look like that! It is unfortunate for some folks that the meds just don't help at all.
We are to get HOT today ... well hot for us. I see BLT's as our supper.

Freezing basil in cubes! I am learning a lot. Olive froze certain kinds of wild mushrooms in lard and is bringing us some. I am learning some interesting preservation techniques I have not tried before.

Sandra said...

Lori, bassets are living cartoons, just looking at them makes a person smile! We had a bacon, chicken, artichoke thin crust pizza for dinner ala Mark!

I am a consumer of words, never a producer. Thank you for your praise, it makes me sit a little taller!

Sandra said...

Val, yes! Depression is a tough thing, often misunderstood and under estimated as a serious illness.

Basil doesn't freeze, but it does if coated in oil. Putting it in a food processor or blender and coating it with oil does the job. Then into ice cube trays, freeze and into a freezer bag. Voila, basil all winter!

Sandra said...

Freezing mushrooms in lard is new to me!

Pixie said...

I think I'm going to have to pick my tomatoes today, while still green. The nights are getting quite cool and I doubt the plants have much left in them. The plants can't ripen if it gets below 10C so I'll bring them to the warm and let them ripen inside.

Depression is a horrible disease that sucks the light out of life.

Sandra said...

Pixie, I have a roma and a yellow plum that are loaded with tomatoes. I will likely need to do the same.

That is a good description of depression. I've felt it steals my life, but it also takes the light.