Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Friday, September 23, 2022

Rain Tomatoes and French

We had a beautiful autumn day yesterday. Today it is 53 F and raining lightly, rain is welcome. Hopeful for rain all day, we need it.

Yesterday I picked.....40 lbs of Roma and yellow plum tomatoes! It's like these two plants are on steroids, I have never had so many tomatoes on one plant, ever. There's at least half that amount that will be ready to pick tomorrow. Both plants are simply loaded but most that are still green won't have a chance to ripen. I've been freezing them whole, now I'm going to start drying them. I think I will be able to keep the son in tomatoes this winter, if he wants them. I have offered pickles, we will not use 18 qts. I have Neighbor Bill to thank for those cucumbers. Yesterday I roasted all the tomatoes he recently gave me. It's about over now. This is around the corner.



My wish, which the weather gods care about not one whit, is that we have a lot of snow and a cold, but not miserably cold, winter. I'd like it cold enough to kill the weeds that have been showing up in the last few years but not cold enough to put us in the poor house with heating costs. Is this too much to ask? We do need moisture, so I'll settle for snow.

I plan to make bread and a blueberry clafoutis this weekend, but this is dependent on my getting the clutter I have turned a blind eye toward put away. I've slipped into ennui and I think I have resided there just a little too long. One of us is wearing out our welcome. With that said, to the trenches. Maybe I'll be thrilling lookers with food photos! a Bientot, mon amie. (I had four years of French. I found out I'd lost it when I ran into someone years ago from a former French colony, told him, in French, I spoke French and then proceeded to stand there like a fool not understanding him at all. A sure sign of, use it or lose it!)

4 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

The snow will be here soon enough...I would like Indian Summer until Christmas! I still have lots of Fall work to do! :)

Sandra said...

So do we, I've just accepted it won't all get done. I don't want to see snow until November. Then it's sort of welcome. October can be nice and mild. That's my weather order.

Val Ewing said...

Dang it! Another word I had to look up ... I like it though. Ennui.

Not many tomatoes here, we had a blight thing going on which killed a lot of plants around the countryside.
I still have so many quarts from last year so I am ok.

Hah. You said that dessert was so easy to make. I have to really be in the mood to make something ... that requires baking.

LOL.

Sandra said...

Val,just the sound of the word ennui tells you something. Of course you need to know how to pronounce it! 4 years of French at least did that much for me. :)

I'm going to be carrying a lot over from this year, I think. That's ok, we never know what is ahead of us.

Look up Julia Child's clafoutis and you'll see how simple it is.