Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, September 7, 2022

More of the Same

Baby, it's humid outside!


I picked tomatoes and the zucchini from the old water troughs and came in with sweat streaming down my face and the hair at my neck soaked. I am sure I have exclaimed my intense dislike of humidity maybe once or twice?


This is the first batch of basil to become pesto. It's Italian large leaf. I cut the two plants down by a third, I'll do the Genovese basil this afternoon. This pesto will be made with walnuts, I have some pignoli left, but have you seen the price that stuff? It's almost doubled since the last time I bought it so I'm going to save what I have left to garnish. 

The squash I planted, the one with no flavor, has produced like squash is inclined to do. I'm going to try making soup with it. Perhaps I can get enough flavor through seasoning and let the squash act as a base. I don't want to throw it out. Friday is going to be a high of 67F so that's a good soup day.

On a political note; a poll came out yesterday showing Governor Walz has a 18 point lead over my personally disliked Scott Jensen. Things can change, but I think it won't. Walz is leading in the entire state, other than western Minnesota. Minnesota's economy is strong, the state is doing well. There has been a rise in certain crimes, which is happening across the country. Walz is being blamed for that, but Joe Biden is being blamed for gas prices, so there you go. People who don't want regulation suddenly think gas prices can be regulated. I can't be all pesto and tomatoes!

It's now afternoon, time to start processing that basil. I don't like doing it. I love basil but the scent in large amounts is overwhelming and spends the day residing in my nostrils and the taste permeates my palate. The struggles I endure.



6 comments:

Boud said...

I always use walnuts in basil pesto. Never thought pine nuts worth the price. I currently have a bunch of Italian basil to do something with. The Thai basil comes in as a house plant in the kitchen soon.

Sandra said...

Boud, they are definitely not worth the price now. I also like hazelnuts in pesto. I have a lot of flat leaf parsley I'll make pesto with. Now that I discovered dehydration I think I'll dry some Romas and make pesto rosso. I have not been able to keep basil alive inside, is Thai basil easier in the house? I usually have a plant, not this year.

Boud said...

Yes, Thai basil does great hanging in the kitchen window all fall and winter. I can't seem to keep Italian basil flourishing though I have one small plant indoors. The big one is outside. I'll freeze a bunch of leaves. And I have a bunch hanging to dry in the kitchen.

Sandra said...

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Sad when the choices will be Waltz or the Doc...is that the best we can do? When I trimmed Basil in the greenhouse I used to bag it up and give it away...the customers loved it:)

Sandra said...

Far Side, I actually have found Walz to be a competent governor, probably the best we've had since Arne Carlson. We came through a rough couple of years in good economic shape. I was not initially thrilled by the choice four years ago, but find him to be a steady, thinking person. Jensen, nope.

I love basil. I would have liked being one of your customers!