Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, September 3, 2022

Lovely Day

I'm feeling better, not there yet, but better. Well enough that I plan to do some much needed mowing this afternoon. Today and tomorrow will be moderate without the tropical humidity we've been cursed with. It's been a weird summer, for me. I feel like it's just floated past me somehow. 

My son called yesterday. I don't hear from him regularly and I have accepted this as reality and no longer feel bad about it. It's who he is and that's that. It's very nice when I do talk to him. It was a fairly short but pleasant conversation. He and his wife are doing well. He was going to look at a truck he found on Craig's List. They want something to turn into a camping vehicle. I have a one ton diesel dually he's eyed for a long time. It's not up for grabs!

Yesterday the Republican candidate for Governor spoke to MPR at the State Fair. He owned the medical clinic I used, until he entered state politics several years ago. I don't like him at all and it wasn't his lousy politics but his lousy personality. Anyway, he stated that we should consider eliminating public education because it does such a poor job with the students. This has been a Republican wet dream for a long time, but they never came right out and said it. They worked on policy to erode the school systems, while acting like it's not them doing it. He said it out loud. Odin help us.

On another note; I'm putting these pretty little things on the ancient baking tray into the freezer and once frozen, into freezer bags. If frozen like this they don't stick together in the bags. The skin peels off easily when they are frozen and the tomatoes make great sauce. I like choices. I'm going to make pasta with roasted Romas and sautĂ©ed eggplant tonight. I'm beginning to be overrun by eggplant.



One more complaint. I have them stored up. I ordered Keetah's dog food from Chewy a couple of days ago. Holy Wow! Every time it is more costly than the last. They didn't have what she has been eating so I had to buy a different flavor in the same brand. Feeding a hundred pound dog is not budget friendly anymore. What would I do now with the seven large dogs I once had? That's it, I'll put the rest of my k'vetch away for the day.

10 comments:

Val Ewing said...

Wow, do away with public schooling? That would be this side of insane. However I do know some few folks who have done some excellent jobs in schooling their own kids.
I also know of those parents who are extremely lousy at schooling their children.

In WI, a parent doesn't even have to have their child tested to see if they are keeping up with kids in public schools.

I am happy that I am not raising children right now.

Have a great day. Looks like another yummy meal coming up.

Sandra said...

Val, it's been an agenda for a long time. An educated population is a risky prospect for fear mongering.

The Koch brothers used WI as a petri dish, turning a progressive state into what it is now. Too bad, the effort is being made here, too.

For so many reasons I wouldn't want children now.

It's a nice day, I'll be happy to spend time outside.

Pixie said...

The conservatives in Alberta want to destroy public health care and public schooling here as well. Not on my watch. Assholes.

I didn't know I could freeze tomatoes whole, I may just do that. Thanks for the tip.

As for dog and cat food, I always think of it as expensive pre poop, drives me crazy.

Sandra said...

Pixie, it's a world wide affliction. I honestly don't know what will become of us.

It works well to freeze them whole. When they thaw slightly the skin comes right off.

That's one way of thinking about it!!

Lori Skoog said...

Your tomatoes look fantastic. We have frozen a lot of our large cherry tomatoes and I will be happy to have them this winter....think they might be especially good in chili.

As for the state of education today....we are in deep tapioca. The way things are going, no one is going to want to teach anymore. I am so tired of all the things that are being taken away from us by a group of idiots. The Biden speech was fine with me as it's time to quit taking crap from people who have no concern for their friends or enemies. If nothing happens to the X President, we are in big trouble as that means anything goes.

Glad you are feeling well enough to do some stuff.

Sandra said...

There has been a concerted erosion of public education for 40 years, Lori. It's really escalated now. Who would want to teach? Underpaid and over stressed. I agree about Biden's speech. It's about time. They say whatever they want and everyone pussyfoots around them. I could use some words that I typically don't about this. We are in the deep end and I worry more than I like. We've got our problem with the governor election. The Republican candidate is extreme and loved in the rural parts of the state, including where I live. Minnesota's economy is in the top 5% nationwide, yet they are going on about how bad things are. Hopefully the metro can keep Jensen out of office.

Boud said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Don't be rushing to catch up!
I lived in Wisconsin in the sixties and noticed the sharp demarcation between progressive and conservative. Let's not forget the same state that produced the progressive LaFollettes also sent Joe McCarthy to Washington.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Pretty tomatoes! Many young Mothers I know are home schooling and their kids are doing just fine:)

Sandra said...

Boud, I think this has been the case in probably all states. I live in a very, very republican area and I'm only 25 miles west of Minneapolis. I'm from St. Paul which has always been overwhelmingly Democratic. Yet, we've had more Republican governors than Democrats. We produced Republican Congressman Volstead who was behind the Volstead Act (Prohibition). That went well.

Sandra said...

Far Side, I know there are circumstances where home schooling is the best option, but I cannot see it as a replacement for public education.

The tomatoes have been frozen and bagged!