Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, September 24, 2022

Carpe Diem

Goodbye Summer


Hello Autumn 


May autumn please remain with us for awhile.

The son sent me a text asking if he could come to lunch today so we could see his new-to-him truck. He had asked last Saturday and I had to say no. Mark was on a restricted diet due to a scheduled procedure and he was on high anxiety alert. I had to say no again because of something my mother passed on from her to me; terrible sinus problems. The kind that causes eye-watering jaw, tooth and ear pain. He's going to think we don't want to see him, but the timing has been off. As much as I love the fall season, my sinuses do not. Maybe next week, if fate will give us a rest.

Today will be quiet, as are most days now that I think about it. I'll putter around as much as I can and remind myself small steps lead to the goal, just slower. I took the double coat scraper to Keetah yesterday and got a plastic grocery bag full of hair. I love German Shepherds but not their shedding. They rank at the top for that. I put a little coconut oil on her afterward, which she hates. It has to be the smell of it. I should try shea butter. I learned the coconut butter thing on a GSD group site. It isn't greasy and helps the coat. I've put it in the food, but this one gets a stomach upset from that. The suggestion of applying directly to the coat helps. 

One more bit of bah humbug. I've started using a cane again. I saved my father's adjustable cane when I cleaned out the house. I'm glad I did. I don't need it for steadying myself but it helps me stand upright. The pain I have is a pulling sensation with burning in the upper back. This causes me to bend forward like one would with spinal stenosis. Using the cane at a slightly higher place than normal helps me stay more upright. I do not like using it, it's cumbersome, and being in public with a cane changes the way people react. I am suddenly a tottering old lady! Inconvenience and an ego deflate should not be enough to keep me from attempting to help myself. Or so I keep telling me. 

May you stand tall, be brave and grab the day.

10 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Ah! My husbands deaf grandmother used to poke her cane at people:)

Sandra said...

HA! Maybe I need to change my point of view on the cane, Far Side.

Boud said...

I think you should start waving it to make your point. Then it becomes a scary accessory instead of a mobility aid.

Sandra said...

Boud, you and Far Side are giving me ideas! I suddenly see it as an asset. Insert 'Evil Laugh' :)

Lori Skoog said...

Use the cane. I messed up my left knee and have been using one the past couple of days. A friend who is a carver made it for me when I had a knee replacement and the top of it is a horse head. Standing straight makes a difference.

Val Ewing said...

My father used two canes when he went for walks. He also put white tape around the bottom of his canes so hopefully people would know he was visually handicapped.
This was before trekking poles were 'invented'. I bet he would have loved those as folks would have seen him as a serious old hiker instead of old man with canes.

Have a good weekend.

Sandra said...

Lori, if I had that cane I'd use it whether I needed it or not! You are right, of course. I can be stupidly stubborn, but eventually I come around. I am using the cane and am noticing a difference. Wouldn't it be amazing if all I needed is a change it footwear and a cane?

Sandra said...

Val, your father was a wise man. It seems you come by your love of the hike naturally. Your father finding a way to get out and walk despite limitations, it's in the genes.

Pixie said...

I don't mind using my cane. People open doors for me and ask me if they can help with my groceries:)

I have a furminator for our german shedder, it helps so much and I even use it on the cat.

Sandra said...

Pixie, I need a change of attitude!

I have heard of furminator. I'll need to look into it. The hair is unbelievable, worse than when I have 7 large dogs at once and one was a retriever!