Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Friday, September 16, 2022

A Moment of Memory and Lament

I had posted this photo when I first returned to the blog. No one was reading then, so I can post it again and not be redundant.

These items are all from my great-grandparents on my father's side, the Hurds. I managed to acquire things belonging to his family from the grandmother before she died and then from my parents home after Kate died. My mother's personality disorder caused alienation on both sides of the family, which makes the fact she ended up with so much of his family's possessions strange. I guess my grandmother had affection for my father despite my mother.



This was my great-grandfather Hurd's secretary. My grandmother, Blanche, gave it to my parents a few years before she died. Blanche had four sons so I don't know why to my dad.

I got to know Blanche a year before her death. I started driving to her house to visit. She always had spumoni ice cream, even though she was a Type 1 diabetic, and I loved spumoni. She was a refined and regal woman, she had lovely things and she started giving some of it to me, such as fine porcelain demitasse cups and sterling silver spoons that went with them. Most were from her parents, she was an only child. She also was a once divorced woman, unheard of in her time. She had some privilege in her life. She let me choose books from her library, figurines from her cabinets, just lots of different things.

I did a family tree on Ancestry a few years ago. Both sides of my father's family came from England, but both sides had been in America forever. I stopped looking when I got to the early 1700s. I didn't know my father's family. I knew some of my mother's family in my early years, but they all took a hike, other than one cousin and my grandma. The grandfather died when I was four. Biologically I have a large family somewhere, but in reality I grew up in a very small family. Now, it's my son and I.

It's startling the amount of damage one person can do to the lives of many. Of course, that person couldn't do it all alone without the cooperation of the other person in the equation. My family isn't unique, but it's mine and it's what I know. Over the past two years my small family has been navigating the turbulent waters of healing. It's a journey to be taken in small, steady strokes, not expecting arrival at the destination anytime soon. 


I had no intention of writing this when I sat down. As it came out of my finger tips, I let it flow. Excuse my indulgence.
 

8 comments:

Boud said...

How amazing to have items from your family, and to know some of the history. Interesting that a large extended family can eventually become two members.

Far Side of Fifty said...

What beautiful treasures! Family is always a work in progress:(

Sandra said...

Boud, I have quite a bit of family pieces, some given to me by grandmothers, the rest after Kate died. I was the only heir. My younger brother had enough 30 years ago and hasn't been heard from since. It wasn't gradual, by the time I was 10 there wasn't anyone left. I am glad I got to know my maternal grandmother before she died.

Sandra said...

I do have some beautiful family heirlooms. I brought the grandfather clock home after I couldn't find anyone to take it. Now I love it and wonder what I was thinking! My family isn't a work in progress. It's at the end of a sad history. Only Matthew and I and he is also damaged. We can only do what we can do, I guess.

Val Ewing said...

That chair in the first photo is amazing. I'm a chair 'freak' I love unique chairs.

As for family? My mom loves alienating her own family especially feuding with her sisters. Funny how she still fumes over her relationship with one sister who is gone. I don't think she is a happy person unless she is holding a grudge against someone.

I think understand where you are coming from. Because I am still trying to figure out 'where' I am coming from.

Sandra said...

I love that chair and you can sit in it, it's sturdy!

My son figured out what was wrong and then I researched and he was spot on: she had a personality disorder, sociopathy. She was very much like Trump. That made his presidency even worse for us, double duty. They are destructive people. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

Pixie said...

Mental illness destroys families. I worry about Jack with two messed up parents but none of us knows what the future will bring.

The furniture is beautiful and you're lucky to have it. My mother ended up with nothing from her parents in England. I think that hurt her a lot, it was all divided up between the sisters still in England.

Sandra said...

Mental illness, addiction, and disorders are destructive.

I have quite a lot of family items. I am fortunate.